[SOLVED]Scrolling Background Speed

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
galaxycat

[SOLVED]Scrolling Background Speed

#1 Post by galaxycat »

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to get a background to scroll by VERY quickly. I remember in the thread I pulled the code from someone mentioned being able to change the speed, but I can't seem to find an example of what that code would look like. What I have:

Code: Select all

image bg trees_move:
    contains:
        "bg trees_loop"
        xalign 1.0
        linear 25.0 xalign 0.0
        repeat
This scrolls by veeeery slowly. Apologies if an example of this has been posted before, I'm terrible at finding these things.
Last edited by galaxycat on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elta
Regular
Tumblr: limitelta
Deviantart: limitelta
itch: limitelta

Re: Scrolling Background Speed

#2 Post by Elta »

I was just working with a scrolling background yesterday and it was the "linear 25.0" I had to change. Smaller numbers make it scroll fast, while larger numbers make it scroll slowly. Hope that helps! 😊

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#3 Post by isobellesophia »

you can make it

Code: Select all

linear 10.0
maybe that is the fastest one or 10 below.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

galaxycat

#4 Post by galaxycat »

Oh my gosh...this is embarrassing.

I tried messing with the linear number before and couldn't get it to the speed I want. I didn't think to change the number after the dot. DOH! 0.1 produces the speed I wanted. Thank you, Elta!!

Elta
Regular

#5 Post by Elta »

galaxycat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:23 am Oh my gosh...this is embarrassing.

I tried messing with the linear number before and couldn't get it to the speed I want. I didn't think to change the number after the dot. DOH! 0.1 produces the speed I wanted. Thank you, Elta!!
Awesome, I totally understand and I don't think you need to feel embarrassed! When your new to something it's hard to think about little things like that. I was the same, and am still running into little things that I think I should have been able to understand. xD We are new to this and it's going to take us some time! 😄

Glad it worked! Best of luck with your project! 🤗

galaxycat

#6 Post by galaxycat »

Thank you so much, your words meant a lot to me today since I've been struggling for a few hours~

Elta
Regular

#7 Post by Elta »

galaxycat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am Thank you so much, your words meant a lot to me today since I've been struggling for a few hours~
No problem! I just had my own issue I finally asked about on here and it was something simple as well~ We can only learn by asking, and gaining more understanding about how this works. We can do this!😁👍