Preference menu issue

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NaeemBolchhi

Preference menu issue

#1 Post by NaeemBolchhi »

As I posted on the Creator's section, I'm working on a portrait GUI for RenPy. I don't want the "Auto-Forward Time" text to be broken into two lines. But I can't seem to find any options to do this. I think new code needs to be written in? Can anyone help?

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: Preference menu issue

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

Could you show the line of the Auto forward textbutton?
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by hell_oh_world »

NaeemBolchhi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:22 am As I posted on the Creator's section, I'm working on a portrait GUI for RenPy. I don't want the "Auto-Forward Time" text to be broken into two lines. But I can't seem to find any options to do this. I think new code needs to be written in? Can anyone help?
Just edit the font size to be a little bit smaller.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/gui.html ... _text_size

You can find this in gui.rpy...

Code: Select all

define gui.label_text_size = 45 ## Set the default size to be a little bit smaller so that it wont break.
If this doesn't work try the other gui variables from the link that I shared, there are tons of it.

I'm also quite curious about how you did set the window to be like that, a portrait one. Did you enter a custom resolution upon creating the project?

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

Maybe not all of them, as it said, the Auto Foward only needs to be resized like in 30-40 .

And maybe lessing the spaces between the auto and foward.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

hell_oh_world wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:04 am I'm also quite curious about how you did set the window to be like that, a portrait one. Did you enter a custom resolution upon creating the project?
Renpy allows setting custom resolutions when creating a project, but the gui is still designed for 16:9

There are a couple of portrait mode GUIs already made available in the creative commons subforum here, currently halfway down on the first page, if you're interested in a base you can expand upon
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

NaeemBolchhi

#6 Post by NaeemBolchhi »

isobellesophia wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 am Could you show the line of the Auto forward textbutton?

Code: Select all

hbox:
        style_prefix "slider"
        box_wrap True

vbox:
            label _("Text Speed")
            bar value Preference("text speed")
            label _("Auto-Forward Time")
            bar value Preference("auto-forward time")
hell_oh_world wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:04 am I'm also quite curious about how you did set the window to be like that, a portrait one. Did you enter a custom resolution upon creating the project?
I chose custom resolution when creating the project. But since the default GUI is designed for landscape, I have to change all the values myself to fit the portrait resolution.
Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 am
Renpy allows setting custom resolutions when creating a project, but the gui is still designed for 16:9

There are a couple of portrait mode GUIs already made available in the creative commons subforum here, currently halfway down on the first page, if you're interested in a base you can expand upon
The two that are available are pretty old by recent standards. Mine is already better than them.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by hell_oh_world »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 am

Well, I didn't know about that. Now that's a first. Thanks for the heads up :D .

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

NaeemBolchhi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:23 am The two that are available are pretty old by recent standards. Mine is already better than them.
What about them is "old"? Both were created with the current Ren"Py release. Not to be rude, but "better" is subjective. Some people may not share the same opinion.

Regarding the currently available GUIs, one is somebody's personal project they decided to share and the other is specifically designed to be a template. It's understandably bland.
It may be worth noting that one of them is my own work, and it still has a few updates to go through.
However, if you could point out what you find unsatisfactory about it, I'd be more than willing to accommodate your suggestions, or begin work on them if they're part of my already planned updates.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

NaeemBolchhi

#9 Post by NaeemBolchhi »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:36 pm What about them is "old"? Both were created with the current Ren"Py release. Not to be rude, but "better" is subjective. Some people may not share the same opinion.
Nothing is wrong with your template, or the other one that's been shared. When I say mine is better, I don't mean to be rude to you or anyone else. Just as you said, it is a subjective comment, and I say better because my work serves my purposes better. I've nitpicked elements to accommodate as much of the original template as possible in its vanilla flavor for the Android screen. For example, your game menu screens don't have the navigation menus in them other than a Return button. This might be suitable to many people, but it doesn't work for me. The one I've prepared keeps the navigation through all game menu screens. Of course, I could've taken yours as base and worked my way from there. But since I planned on doing things my way, going through your code to discover what changes you made would've been a hassle.

And sorry for mistaking the templates to be based on older releases. Their appearance reminded me of Moonlight Walks, and I stupidly assumed that they were older. That is entirely my fault. I hope you can forgive me.

Again, I did not mean to offend anyone. Your template is a full suite and obviously well done. I'm just looking for a more personalized experience.
The reason your text breaks onto two lines is because the container it is contained within is constraining it horizontally. Make it wider or make the text smaller.
Yes, I did figure out that part. But I can't seem to find anything that would extend its width. That's why I wondered if new code needs to be written in.