imagebutton without using screens?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
bloobeary
Regular
Deviantart: bloobeary
Soundcloud: user-212448702

imagebutton without using screens?

#1 Post by bloobeary »

Is there a way to use an imagebutton without making a screen out of it?

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: imagebutton without using screens?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

bloobeary wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 pm Is there a way to use an imagebutton without making a screen out of it?
Why do you not want to use a screen?

If you describe what it is you want to achieve it will be easier to help you. I expect that using an imagebutton without using a screen is what you see as the solution to a problem. If so, what is the problem you want to solve?

I suspect the best way to solve the problem might be to use a screen.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by hell_oh_world »

bloobeary wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 pm Is there a way to use an imagebutton without making a screen out of it?
You can through the use of UI functions which are in the docs. But as what the above suggestions said, you should use screens for things like screen elements, try not to compromise if you can. So its better I guess to have your problem solved through screens rather than going onto this fallback option.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

Imagebutton always use screens, or it will not show the other screens that you've been using.
Actually, hotspots are different than imagebuttons, so imagebuttons aren't that hard until you really know about them or how to use it.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#5 Post by Remix »

Code: Select all

show expression ImageButton('images/eileen.png', clicked=Notify('ding'), xpos=200)
The ImageButton class is a tad different to just screen language imagebutton though... find it in renpy/display/behavior.py
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

bloobeary
Regular
Deviantart: bloobeary
Soundcloud: user-212448702

#6 Post by bloobeary »

I figured out my problem. I was trying to create an imagebutton, but when it would be called onscreen the whole game would freeze until that button was clicked.

I needed to use show instead of call. So, the problem wasn't the screen, it was the way it was being displayed.