Confirmation after Menu selection

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Smokinbarrel99

Confirmation after Menu selection

#1 Post by Smokinbarrel99 »

Hello all, does anyone know how to make a confirmation message appear after a choice is made in a menu? I'm making a spy game where you choose your specialty and I want player to understand what each one means.

Example:
Espionage is the choice and once they click on it I want the game to show something like this: You are trained specifically in the art of breaking and entering and stealing information, occasionally you also sabotage things. I then want to the game to return to the menu choice in case they don't like that option and can see about a different one. If they do like that one however I don't want them caught in a loop or having to select all the option before it lets them make a final choice.

I've tried a few different methods and so far the only one that really seemed to work was putting all that text in the menu choice which I don't want. Might be impossible but I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer. Thanks in advance for the help.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Confirmation after Menu selection

#2 Post by philat »

Probably the best solution would be using a tooltip on hover. Easier to create a custom screen for this (although you can modify the menu choice screen to take optional tooltips, that's more advanced than just making a screen from scratch).

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_a ... l#tooltips

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Alternatively, make each choice call a screen that explains what the choice does.
The screen would have two options, proceed and choose something else.
Clicking either would set a variable to the "_return" variable and return you to where you came from.

Then you just need to check if the variable matches and jump the player accordingly, either back to the menu, or to the label they chose.

I might be able to make an example later tonight, it's kind of hard on a mobile phone.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Smokinbarrel99

#4 Post by Smokinbarrel99 »

Thanks for the help, I'll give these ideas a try and see if I can make either one work.