Dialogue Screen Disappears and Reappears While Characters Change

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

Dialogue Screen Disappears and Reappears While Characters Change

#1 Post by ArizaLuca »

When characters on LayeredImages change expression, and it is not in the document labeled script.rpy, the dialogue window will disappear, then reappear. I don't understand what is going on. I checked this:

Code: Select all

define config.window = "'say'"
(With the 'say' screen being defined in a separate document) But it still flashes. I don't understand what's going on?

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: Dialogue Screen Disappears and Reappears While Characters Change

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

What does the "say" for or do? The default one is

Code: Select all

define config.window = "auto"
I also tried layered images with this function, it works and nothing is wrong.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes

#3 Post by ArizaLuca »

Ah, I should've clarified– I wrote this on very little sleep, sorry. I have a completely customized GUI (in which the 'say' function/screen/whichever) is contained; thus this is not a default project with the default GUI.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by rayminator »

ArizaLuca wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:23 pm Ah, I should've clarified– I wrote this on very little sleep, sorry. I have a completely customized GUI (in which the 'say' function/screen/whichever) is contained; thus this is not a default project with the default GUI.
well we need more info on what you want to do

if you doing a custom gui from scratch then we need the code that you are using

not just one piece of code

can you provide the rest of the code so someone might be able to help you more better

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#5 Post by ArizaLuca »

Yep– sorry, it took a while to zip. The folders needed for the GUI to work is 'gui' (the image files needed are inside), 'guiscript' (the script needed), and options.rpy (that has most everything else, including the part where I have the 'define config.window' thing.
Attachments
thesoulsintheseams.zip
(75.84 MiB) Downloaded 13 times