An question about renpy translate,

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
nautilus_nc

An question about renpy translate,

#1 Post by nautilus_nc »

I just want to know if I can use the option that renpy gives in string translations in a "work in progress"-game, that I'm going to do a lot of possibles updates, or should I turn all dialogs into something like,

"[text1] [name]! [text2]"

and then I put some button in preferences that sets the language to a certain language. And besides, it only calls a label, which identifies the current language and updates the texts "text1" and "text2" in the translate of language X or Y.?

And i want to know what away are good for made an type of FAQ in game like this image

the purple are the themes like "Gameplay aspects" or "Images"

The red are the question like "How i win an special image?"

and the black space are the text with answers

pyPat
Regular
Github: patlol

Re: An question about renpy translate,

#2 Post by pyPat »

nautilus_nc wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:08 pm And i want to know what away are good for made an type of FAQ in game like this image
Salut :wink:
A newbie' s notice: a screen with textbuttons for the left, these textbuttons calling labels containing a screen for the right part with other textbutton for questions triggering calls with dialog responses. Inspire yourself from the preference menu for the layout or style.

For the translations, I didn't understand well, but my English is not fluent. The translation is quite easy to update when changes are made. You only translate the modified texts. That's all I can say.

This is the code I use for the language change GUI:
For the user I add a radio button in the preference menu. With a code initially in French:

Code: Select all

# in screen.rpy
use game menu (_(preference), ...):
    vbox:
        hbox:
            vbox:
                style_prefix "radio"
                label _("Language")
                textbutton _( "English" ) action Language(None)
                textbutton _( "French" ) action Language("French")
And a notification at the beginning of the game in the label start:

Code: Select all

# notification :
screen notify(message):
    zorder 100
    text message at _notify_transform
    # This controls how long it takes between when the screen is
    # first shown, and when it begins hiding.
    timer 3.25 action Hide('notify')

transform _notify_transform:
    # These control the position.
    xalign .10 yalign .10
    # These control the actions on show and hide.
    on show:
        alpha 0
        linear .25 alpha 1.0
    on hide:
        linear .5 alpha 0.0

$ message = "Menu préférences pour choisir la version française ou anglaise.\nPreferences menu to choose the French or English version."
show screen notify(message)
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.

nautilus_nc

Re: An question about renpy translate,

#3 Post by nautilus_nc »

Oh great, i think when you make any change in your project you have to translate all your game again