Making a Quick Time Event Battle-Like System?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
plulovi
Regular
Projects: Hell's Phone Number

Making a Quick Time Event Battle-Like System?

#1 Post by plulovi »

Hello guys. I wanted to ask a few questions about quick time events being possible in ren'py.

Before I start, I have already looked at this topic viewtopic.php?t=50766 which, since I'm still learning ren'py, was a bit confusing for me to look at.

To be more specific about what I'm trying to achieve, I want to be able to have a battle system which will use a different looking layout than the normal VN interface (because it's for battle cutscenes). I'm not so much worried about how that's going to look, and I'm more focused on the actual button-pressing battle things.

So for these battles, I want it so that the player will have to press certain buttons on their keyboard in order to block incoming attacks, and pass a wave of attacks. The keys I would like to use are the up, down, left, and right arrows on the keyboard (or w, a, s, d). If they successfully pass the first wave, there will be a player menu choice with different things they can say to try and pacify the target (pacifying will reduce the target's health), and then onto the next wave of attacks, repeat process with a new button pressing pattern, etc. Some word choices will do a greater number on the enemy than others.

Also, for every wave of attacks passed, the speed in which the player must press the buttons will increase slightly (if that's possible).

when the enemy's health is all the way to zero, the player wins, and it continues the rest of the story.

Now, if the player misses or doesn't press the buttons in time, the player's health goes down because they couldn't avoid attacks and got hit. When all the health is lost, the game ends and goes to a screen asking if the player wants to continue or quit. Pressing continue will bring them back to where they last saved, and quitting will bring them back to the main menu screen.

To visualize how this battle screen could look, I've sketched out roughly how I would like it to be, and I'll provide images here (which I can't preview images in 1280 x 720 on here, so it's not exactly up to scale):

The beginning of the battle & where choices after enemy attacks are displayed:

Enemy attacks and buttons appear:

Enemy loses:

Player loses:

I hope this isn't too much and can be done on Ren'py. If not possible on Ren'py, perhaps it's possible using something else like pygame(?) and implementing it into Ren'py? Thank you for your help! : )

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Making a Quick Time Event Battle-Like System?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

plulovi wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:01 pm Hello guys. I wanted to ask a few questions about quick time events being possible in ren'py.

-------

I hope this isn't too much and can be done on Ren'py. If not possible on Ren'py, perhaps it's possible using something else like pygame(?) and implementing it into Ren'py? Thank you for your help! : )

You have a very simple time out game in the manual
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens. ... imer#timer
That might be a start point for you.

I have made a somewhat similar game, but without the time out factor.
This is from the test I first did in pygame

To put it in the Ren'py game I redid the programming in renpy. To the best of my knowledge you can not directly put in a pygame program in Ren'py.
In this video you can for a short time at the end of the video see how the game looks in Ren'py.

I hope this can give you confidence that what you are attempting to do is possible in Ren'py.

You should also look in the cookbook. There is at least one example of a battle system in there.

plulovi
Regular
Projects: Hell's Phone Number

Re: Making a Quick Time Event Battle-Like System?

#3 Post by plulovi »

Thanks for your example! I'm glad something like this is possible in Ren'py. I'll keep searching for more information.