[PROBLEM SOLVED] How can I replace the default icon in my game? (Android)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
CharlieFuu69
Regular
Projects: WIP: LoveLive! UNOFFICIAL PROJECT (Gacha/Rhythm game developed in Ren'Py engine)
Github: CharlieFuu69
itch: https://charliefuu69

[PROBLEM SOLVED] How can I replace the default icon in my game? (Android)

#1 Post by CharlieFuu69 »

Hello everyone! I am a new member inside this forum and also, within the programming.
Lately I have been moving forward in my first game and then so much, I want to make the first tests on Android devices, and behold the small problem that has been crossed into the road: add a personalized icon to the APK package.

I tried in the way pointed out in the Ren'Py documentation https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/android. ... ash-images and in one of the topics of Lemma Soft viewtopic.php?t=45380 but I did not work.

The two sources indicate that I must locate the corresponding images in the base folder of my game, and that they are also of the dimensions and names they indicated, but nothing worked. Sylvie appears as an app icon.

I am using the latest released version of Ren'Py and I work on a Windows OS computer.
Something I must be doing wrong ...

I appreciate your help!
Last edited by CharlieFuu69 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: Doubt: How can I replace the default icon in my game? (Android)

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

You probably need to check the icon dimensions, maybe it was too large or maybe too small.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

CharlieFuu69
Regular
Projects: WIP: LoveLive! UNOFFICIAL PROJECT (Gacha/Rhythm game developed in Ren'Py engine)

#3 Post by CharlieFuu69 »

Hi! ... I tried the following dimensions:

144x144
432x432 (According to Ren'Py)
and 512x512.

In many articles by Lemma, I saw that they used as an image name "android-icon" (My image is PNG), so I tried with that name and as I could imagine, Sylvie continues to appear as an Android icon.

Then I tried what the Ren'Py documentation (Two images of 432x432) titled "android-icon_foreground" and "android-icon_background" ... Same reaction: The icon does not appear.

I tried to test dimensions greater than 144x144 and less than 512x512 but I don't get the results I expect.

As a primitive reaction, I reinstalled all the Ren'Py files but neither ...

trickster-kaja
Projects: WINTERSANDS
itch: trickster-kaja

#4 Post by trickster-kaja »

Hi!
I had the same issue for a while and the only thing that helped me was recreating the project. Here are the steps I've taken:
- copypasted the project's folder
- deleted .android.json and [tmp] folder from the base folder of the the new project
- configured the new project
- built it ^^

After that the custom icon actually worked. Maybe it will help you too.
Good luck!

CharlieFuu69
Regular

#5 Post by CharlieFuu69 »

Thank you! I will try your suggestion and see if it works!

When it works, I will mark this forum topic as solved.