Hotspots: How to remove button image when not on a hotspot?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AnnieTiamat
Regular

Hotspots: How to remove button image when not on a hotspot?

#1 Post by AnnieTiamat »

I'm working on a very hotspot-heavy project (basically, where vbox work would kind of be impossible) and my biggest problem is that an empty button hangs around when one of the hotspots is not selected. I'm sure there's a proper way to do this with a combo of "unhover" and "Hide," but all my searches have led to a lot of archaic info and elements that contradict my current setup. I'm hoping I don't have to redo all of them (cue silent screaming face) but if I have a handle on what I'm doing, I'm good with that.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

IMAGE!

CODE!

Code: Select all

#### Character Select ####

screen port_int_imagemap:
        default tt = Tooltip("")

default x = 500 # add three lines to get mouse position
        default y = 400
        $ x,y = renpy.get_mouse_pos()

imagemap:
            ground "images/backgrounds/WaitingRoom_Base_Ground_Frame.png"
            hover "images/backgrounds/WaitingRoom_Base_Hover_Frame.png"

hotspot (1235, 10, 170, 330) clicked Return("Thief") hover_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over2.wav" activate_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over.wav" hovered tt.Action("Confident Thief") unhovered tt.Action("")
            hotspot (875, 375, 445, 690) clicked Return("Traveler") hover_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over2.wav" activate_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over.wav" hovered tt.Action("Weary Traveler") unhovered tt.Action("")
            hotspot (490, 175, 230, 345) clicked Return("Scientist") hover_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over2.wav" activate_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over.wav" hovered tt.Action("Scared Scientist") unhovered tt.Action("")

frame:
            pos(x, y) # this positions the frame at the mouse position - you can adjust by using x + 10 or whatever to fine tune.
            xsize 160 # just made the width 50 so you could see how the frame being small makes the text wrap. Add more styles to the frame as necessary
            text tt.value # style text as necessary

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Hotspots: How to remove button image when not on a hotspot?

#2 Post by Kia »

May I suggest using "imagebutton" or "button" instead of "imagemap"? it will make your work much easier and you can give the buttons absolute positions the same way you position the hotspots

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

#3 Post by Per K Grok »

AnnieDB wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 pm I'm working on a very hotspot-heavy project (basically, where vbox work would kind of be impossible) and my biggest problem is that an empty button hangs around when one of the hotspots is not selected. I'm sure there's a proper way to do this with a combo of "unhover" and "Hide," but all my searches have led to a lot of archaic info and elements that contradict my current setup. I'm hoping I don't have to redo all of them (cue silent screaming face) but if I have a handle on what I'm doing, I'm good with that.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

IMAGE!

CODE!

#### Character Select ####

screen port_int_imagemap:
        default tt = Tooltip("")

default x = 500 # add three lines to get mouse position
        default y = 400
        $ x,y = renpy.get_mouse_pos()

imagemap:
            ground "images/backgrounds/WaitingRoom_Base_Ground_Frame.png"
            hover "images/backgrounds/WaitingRoom_Base_Hover_Frame.png"

hotspot (1235, 10, 170, 330) clicked Return("Thief") hover_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over2.wav" activate_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over.wav" hovered tt.Action("Confident Thief") unhovered tt.Action("")
            hotspot (875, 375, 445, 690) clicked Return("Traveler") hover_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over2.wav" activate_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over.wav" hovered tt.Action("Weary Traveler") unhovered tt.Action("")
            hotspot (490, 175, 230, 345) clicked Return("Scientist") hover_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over2.wav" activate_sound "audio/sounds/_menu_over.wav" hovered tt.Action("Scared Scientist") unhovered tt.Action("")

frame:
            pos(x, y) # this positions the frame at the mouse position - you can adjust by using x + 10 or whatever to fine tune.
            xsize 160 # just made the width 50 so you could see how the frame being small makes the text wrap. Add more styles to the frame as necessary
            text tt.value # style text as necessary

If I understand this correctly the "button" is the frame-element last in the screen code, that is to be background to the tooltip.
If that is so, you could perhaps fix the problem by having the frame not showing when the tooltip don't have any text.

if tt.value!="":
    frame:
        - etc-

AnnieTiamat
Regular

#4 Post by AnnieTiamat »

HOLY YES Per I think that did it. I have been scratching around for something exactly like that and you handed me a solution. THANK YOU! :D