Is it possible to make a personality test on Ren'Py ?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jira

Is it possible to make a personality test on Ren'Py ?

#1 Post by Jira »

Hello, I started a Visual Novel project about 2 months ago and I'm finally starting to write the script on Ren'Py, but I'm facing a problem.

I would really like to introduce a personality test system in my Visual Novel like in the "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon" games.
(https://youtu.be/JtFVPmQR21g) <---- like that !
It would be to define a personality type at the MC as well as the character he will meet first, and many other things.

I really have no knowledge of Ren'Py or programming, I learned everything through dozens of tutorials and I only know how to do the minimum.
Thanks to anyone who can give me information or links to tutorials that I wouldn't have found.

Have a nice day

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Is it possible to make a personality test on Ren'Py ?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Jira wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:28 am Hello, I started a Visual Novel project about 2 months ago and I'm finally starting to write the script on Ren'Py, but I'm facing a problem.

I would really like to introduce a personality test system in my Visual Novel like in the "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon" games.
(https://youtu.be/JtFVPmQR21g) <---- like that !
It would be to define a personality type at the MC as well as the character he will meet first, and many other things.

I really have no knowledge of Ren'Py or programming, I learned everything through dozens of tutorials and I only know how to do the minimum.
Thanks to anyone who can give me information or links to tutorials that I wouldn't have found.

Have a nice day

You could use choice menus to ask questions and provide alternatives for the player to use as answers. Depending on the answer you would add or subtract values from variables representing certain personality traits. Questions and answers could look like this.

Code: Select all

default gender=none
default courage=5
default smarts=5

######################

label quiz:
    menu:
        "Are you a boy or a girl?"

"A boy.":
            $ gender="boy"
            jump boy

"A girl.":
            $ gender="girl"
            jump girl

label boy:
    menu:
        "A punk is hassling a girl on the street. What will you do?"

"Help without hesitation.":
            $ courage += 5
            $ smarts -= 1
            jump boy2 

"Help, even if scared.":
            $ courage += 2
            $ smarts += 1
            jump boy2 

"Call the police.":
            $ courage += 3
            $ smarts += 5
            jump boy2 

"Do nothing out of fear.":
            $ courage -= 3
            $ smarts -= 2
            jump boy2 

When all questions has been answered you use the variables to assign the player to a certain personality using if, elif, else statement:

Code: Select all

label assessment_boy:
    if courage>10:
        "You are a very brave person."
    elif courage>5:
        "You have a normal level of bravery."
    elif courage>2:
        "You are not very brave."
    else:
        "You're a bit of a scaredy cat."

if smarts>10:
        "You are very intelligent."

----

Just examples on how you could set it up. You could have completely different traits, different questions, and make different evaluations of the answers

Jira

#3 Post by Jira »

Wow, thank you so much for the example that will be very useful to me !

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#4 Post by CSV »

I have made personality quizzes in Ren'Py, and I have shared the coding I use before, you can find it on this post. (I don't know if posting it again would be considered spam, so sorry for the link.)
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆