Folder Structure for Ren'Py?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
that_wannabe_cat
Completed: My Vampire Girlfriend, Thea is Drowning, Dear Genny, The Puppet Whisperer (Programming)
Projects: Merely a Regret
itch: that-wannabe-cat

Folder Structure for Ren'Py?

#1 Post by that_wannabe_cat »

Is there any set guidelines for structuring files and folders in Ren'py? For example in java you place any source code under src/main/java and any test code under src/main/test.

I made my own file structure for the game I'm working on, but I was wondering if there is anything more official or recommended for future projects.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Folder Structure for Ren'Py?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

that_wannabe_cat wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:47 am Is there any set guidelines for structuring files and folders in Ren'py? For example in java you place any source code under src/main/java and any test code under src/main/test.

I made my own file structure for the game I'm working on, but I was wondering if there is anything more official or recommended for future projects.
Not as far as I know. Any way that works for you will be good. :)

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#3 Post by Kia »

renpy scans for every .rpy file in the game directory and it's sub directories.
as long as you keep in mind that renpy reads the files in order it finds (nearly alphabetical), you'll be fine.

that_wannabe_cat
Completed: My Vampire Girlfriend, Thea is Drowning, Dear Genny, The Puppet Whisperer (Programming)
Projects: Merely a Regret
itch: that-wannabe-cat

#4 Post by that_wannabe_cat »

Per K Grok wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:41 pm
Not as far as I know. Any way that works for you will be good. :)
Ah. Was hoping there was some documentation for a recommended structure. Oh well. Thank you for answering.