[Solved] Hiding the Dialogue Textbox

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Poorman65

[Solved] Hiding the Dialogue Textbox

#1 Post by Poorman65 »

In my game I have to do a convoluted trick to display animation movies over top of the Scene. The reason for this is that I have to deal with the delay in loading the movie with timers. Here is an example of how my Scene uses my movie Screen mechanism:

Code: Select all

show Bus Bus_Waiting
show screen timedMovie(4,
      "Bus Bus_Waiting",
      "Bus S01_Movie_Bus_Leaving_Night")
hide Bus Bus_Waiting
"This is the conversation text to show after the movie is done."
What this does is displays the first frame of my movie so that the scene doesn't suddenly have a bus pop into view. It then loads my screen which also displays the same first frame and then hides it when the movie has had time to load.

(Now the actual question:-)
In the scene, the code continues processing, hiding the first frame that it displayed and showing a text box. Is there an easy way to hide that text box and then have the Screen cause it to show again when the movie is over?

Right now, the text box shows behind the moving bus.
Last edited by Poorman65 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: Hiding the Dialogue Textbox

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

Maybe like this, sorry if it was too basic.

window show

window hide

window auto
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Poorman65

#3 Post by Poorman65 »

Thanks isobellesophia!

I initially dismissed your answer thinking it was a generic thing since "window" didn't sound like it was meant specifically for the "say" box. I gave it a try this morning and it does exactly what I asked for.

Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem completely as I had expected it to, since it still will hit the next say statement which makes it visible again.

I am playing around with pausing after the "window hide" to keep it from reaching the next say statement before I am ready for it.

(You're the hero for me today!!!)

Poorman65

#4 Post by Poorman65 »

This appears to be the complete solution to my problem. This has the suggested "window hide" along with the pause to keep it from reaching the next say statement.

window hide
show Bus Bus_Waiting
show screen timedMovie(4,
      "Bus Bus_Waiting",
      "Bus S01_Movie_Bus_Leaving_Night")
hide Bus Bus_Waiting
pause(5)
"This is the conversation text to show after the movie is done."
Now if I can only create this as its own Statement so I can use it without having to re-enter all of the detail. I tried to do that when I first started to work on my game but ran into Displayable problems that I couldn't solve at the time. Fingers crossed!!!