[solved] use mp3 files from folder?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ironk

[solved] use mp3 files from folder?

#1 Post by ironk »

Creating an mp3 player with a screen is not difficult. you take the picture, give the buttons the desired function and that's it.
But how can I set it up that I don't need a playlist, just play all mp3 files from a folder? I don't care about order.
I want to be able to drop in or remove songs without rewritig the code all the time.
Last edited by ironk on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Help- How to: - use files from folder?- assign several variables?

#2 Post by namastaii »

So, I think the most uncomplicated way to play a list of songs from a folder without doing much else would be to name all of the mp3 files the same thing and add a number at the end of it, have a code that iterates through those (song_1.mp3, song_2.mp3) and attach a variable so it's playing song_[variablehere].mp3, but you would need another variable for the number of songs in that folder so you don't run into an error when it tries to find song_12 but you only have 11 songs, then have it go back to song_1 (or song_0 depending on how you do it) if that makes sense. This is untested but it's the most straightforward way I can think of.
You did say you'd like to drop songs in without rewriting code and I'm not sure if there's a way to do that 100% but renaming your mp3 to be routine for the code to find and just updating the variable that holds the total number of songs in the folder would work.

ironk

Re: Help- How to: - use files from folder?- assign several variables?

#3 Post by ironk »

ok, i stick to a song list. If I take version 2 and rename the songs to "song1" etc. the exchange is difficult.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: [solved] use mp3 files from folder?

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

There is one user before you who had the exact same idea and a working solution was given at the time.

I am afraid I cannot find a link, but if you search around the forum you might find an answer.
IIRC, this was about three years ago.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter