Converting VNs to be released on consoles

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
crimsonnight
Veteran

Converting VNs to be released on consoles

#1 Post by crimsonnight »

Hey guys, I haven't been following RenPy development for a little while, but I'm hoping to work on a new VN this year so hopefully that'll change soon!
I was wondering if it's at all possible to convert my VNs so that they can be released on the major console platforms (Switch/PS/Xbox)? As my technical knowledge is limited I'll have to hire someone to perform the conversion on my behalf - but realistically, is it possible?
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Converting VNs to be released on consoles

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Yes, look up ratalaika games.
http://www.ratalaikagames.com/

I'm not sure what they charge or what's involved, but they've done a couple of Ren'Py to games console ports.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

crimsonnight
Veteran

#3 Post by crimsonnight »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:36 pm Yes, look up ratalaika games.
http://www.ratalaikagames.com/

I'm not sure what they charge or what's involved, but they've done a couple of Ren'Py to games console ports.
Great, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, thank you very much! If anyone else knows of any other studios/programmers who have performed console ports of RenPy games please let me know :)
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

Triority
Regular
Completed: Welcome To... Chichester 0, 1,2 OVN 1, OVN 2, OVN 3, No Regrets For The Future
Projects: Welcome To... Chichester series
Organization: Triority
Tumblr: Sku-te
itch: triority
Discord: sku_te

#4 Post by Triority »

For some reason they rejected mine (possibly because of a) the subject matter and b) makes use of multi-persistent data). Unfortunately I don't know of any others that would do it.
Last edited by Triority on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonnight
Veteran

#5 Post by crimsonnight »

Triority wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:23 pm For some reason they rejected mine (possibly because of a) the subject matter and b) makes use of multi-persistent data). Unfortunately that I know of that would do it.
I had a similar experience, which to be fair, I understand - it was important to me to create an atypical novel, which I'm sure would be harder to market. I'm still looking for someone to work with in regards to porting over my novel(/s) though, so if anyone has any other leads, please let us know :)
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

Triority
Regular
Completed: Welcome To... Chichester 0, 1,2 OVN 1, OVN 2, OVN 3, No Regrets For The Future

#6 Post by Triority »

I did try to converse with another "company" that supposed to do that sort of thing, but I never heard back from them in any regard. Unfortunately I can't remember who they were now.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

If they rejected your novel, it's possibly because the store you're aiming for, rather than their own personal reasons.

Have you checked if SONY/Microsoft/Nintendo have any clauses about your content?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Triority
Regular

#8 Post by Triority »

Apparently Nintendo are making it harder for indie gamers to get onto their store anyway. As I was never told exactly why it was rejected I wouldn't be able to at least think about changes.

Not particularly worried at this moment in time. I would actually prefer to convert stuff to RISC OS (or even Haiku OS) as then it would an open field.

The former system I can do myself - just don't have the time, and probably won't for ages :D

uyjulian
Regular
Github: uyjulian

#9 Post by uyjulian »

If you can't release your game officially on the Switch, at least you can use my unofficial port: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=55503

Reasons to use it over official port are the following:
Multi persistent data
Quick debugging
Quit functionality
Access to libnx functions from python scripts, such as opening web browser, controller settings, rumble, clock speed, mount filesystem, etc.
Functionality is mostly same as upstream
Open source
Video layer functionality
Access to saves and logs on SD card
Keyboard and mouse support

Reasons to not use it over official port:
Unlikely to get accepted into Nintendo eShop submission
Memory leaks (only really relevant for games that use large assets)
No rumble
No gyroscope
No support contract