Double quotation marks or single?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Bum_McFluff
Regular

Double quotation marks or single?

#1 Post by Bum_McFluff »

I am using Editra to write my code, but have found that almost all guides, including this forum, use double quotation marks eg. "xyz" when showing how to write something. Whenever I have an issue, it seems to be fixed when I change my "xyz" to single quotation marks eg. 'xyz'. Is this common? Is it an issue at all? Or is Editra at fault and what editor should I be using?
What, spy on our spy as he searches for their spy? Why not, sounds rather like fun.

rames44
Veteran

Re: Double quotation marks or single?

#2 Post by rames44 »

Without knowing what kinds of problems you’ve had that were fixed by changing quote types, it’s hard to advise you. Ren’py is Python-based, and in most cases, Python is agnostic as to which quote types you use. (Unless you’re embedding quotes inside quoted strings.). Seems unlikely it would be the editor at fault, but, of course, that’s an assumption on my part, and you know what happens when you assume... 😀

I use the Atom editor that Ren’py integrates and have been very happy with it. It has Ren’py syntax highlighting, which I nice. That being said, editors are a very personal choice - you like the one you like because you like it and are familiar with it.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by rayminator »

if you want to us double quotation in a dialogue you can do it this way if that what you meant

Code: Select all

a "what is \"xyz"\?"

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

It shouldn't make a difference between double and single quotes. Though it is important that there are those fancy curved quotes that editors sometimes switch you to that won't work.

All of that said, I'd recommend dumping Editra for Atom. I used to be an Editra user, but is hasn't been updated by the creators in years, and basically stopped working on the Mac. Atom is now the supported editor once I switched to that I had no more problems.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

rames44
Veteran

#5 Post by rames44 »

Yes, of course, you DO have to watch out for those “curly quotes” some editors will try to foist off on you... 😄

Bum_McFluff
Regular

#6 Post by Bum_McFluff »

I think I have answered my own question. The issue seemed to be when there was a contraction in the dialogue eg don't. I will stick with Editra for the time being, and if it comes up again, I'll think about possibly changing. Thanks for the feedback.
What, spy on our spy as he searches for their spy? Why not, sounds rather like fun.