Customised text box not showing up

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Akzeriyyuth
Tumblr: Akzeriyyuth

Customised text box not showing up

#1 Post by Akzeriyyuth »

Hi guys;

I'm trying to customise the text box (and a few other things) for my game but Ren'Py isn't acknowledging the changes. So far I've watched a bunch of videos which have just substituted one file for the new customised one, and tried that, read through the customisation guide in case it was a coding issue... but still... no change. I just get the faded in black one that comes with the game, which I'd like to change to a PNG graphic I made which is a different colour and where the text would look nicer over. Graphic is the same dimensions, same file format, same name as the original one, and in the GUI folder.

Has anyone else had this problem or had to fix something similar? Do I need to define the graphic to refer to in the code (in GUI? In screens?) or does it need to be a specific file format (ie. not PNG) or something?

Thank you so much.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: Customised text box not showing up

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

You can just easily change a pic of your txtbox, and make sure it has the same size as the game has. You can change the size in the gui.rpy
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#3 Post by verysunshine »

Akzeriyyuth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 am Graphic is the same dimensions, same file format, same name as the original one, and in the GUI folder.
By default, the game is looking for a text box file named "textbox.png" in the gui folder. The code is on line 139 of gui.rpy.

Where is the original file?

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

Akzeriyyuth
Tumblr: Akzeriyyuth

#4 Post by Akzeriyyuth »

verysunshine wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:32 pm Where is the original file?
Thank you so much... that turned out to be the problem: it was in a subfolder of /gui, not /game/gui.

I have learned a very important lesson about folders, LOL: appreciate you getting back to me though.

Potato0095
Regular
Projects: LoveCraft
itch: potato95

#5 Post by Potato0095 »

Akzeriyyuth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm
Thank you so much... that turned out to be the problem: it was in a subfolder of /gui, not /game/gui.

I have learned a very important lesson about folders, LOL: appreciate you getting back to me though.
The /game is where the code runs, so it checks as default /. Folders INSIDE game are the folders you want to use in your script, like /gui, /images, /scripts, /sounds, and such.
"There are two types of lies: Lies that hurt, and lies that don't."

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by rayminator »

Potato0095 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:44 am
Akzeriyyuth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm

The /game is where the code runs, so it checks as default /. Folders INSIDE game are the folders you want to use in your script, like /gui, /images, /scripts, /sounds, and such.
I think he was doing this and he figure it out that he was doing it wrong

Code: Select all

imagemap:
            ground 'game/gui/save2.png'
            hover 'game/gui/save_hover.png'