Imagebuttons

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Niteowl

Imagebuttons

#1 Post by Niteowl »

HI guys.....

So, I started learning to code in renpy a few months ago. I learned a lot (thanks to the help of many, including posters on this forum)

Now it's time to add a few more bells and whistles to my game, specifically a shop.
I understand imagebuttons would be a fairly practical way of making my shop.... so I could have an image for every outfit in the shop etc.

SO, one problem, I've been looking at tutorials online but they're all very confusing and either incomplete or that assumed too much knowledge on the part of the reader. (Generally speaking, though, I have been using screens so I"m familiar with some concepts involved)

Anyways, image buttons: I understand we normally need three images (maybe more but let's start with three)
let's say I have OutfitX in the shop......
I seem to understand I would need three images: idle, hover, and locked (after the item was bought)
so let's say I have
OutfitX_idle.png (Does the name need to have idle in it? In any order or does idle have to be first or second? like OutfitX_idle.png or idle_OutfitX.png?)
OutfitX_hover.png
OutfitX_???? first issue, not sure how to define a locked image.

Anyways, I don't really understand how to tell Renpy that those are the three images that need to be used, or connect the button to buying it (I guess something like action jump to label for the buying and selling exchange)...

I'm trying to say that I think I understand the general concept, but I"m stumped as to how to actually code it. |Does anyone have a sample code that could help me, or could be applied to something like what I"m trying to do?

IF my question is confusing, basically I want to understand how to use imagebuttons....I understand the idea, but the specific code is not clear... Any examples that could help me get it?

Niteowl

Re: Imagebuttons

#2 Post by Niteowl »

Guys, please, any input at all?

I mean, I'm not asking you to write the code for me.... just one simple example of how to create an image button that works, for whatever purpose, would be enough... I can figure out the rest.
Or a link to an example....something... please....

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

#3 Post by Per K Grok »

Niteowl wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:13 pm Guys, please, any input at all?

I mean, I'm not asking you to write the code for me.... just one simple example of how to create an image button that works, for whatever purpose, would be enough... I can figure out the rest.

A small example that might get you started.

Code: Select all

default buyX=0

screen shop():
    if buyX==0:
        imagebutton idle "images/buttons/red.png" hover "images/buttons/blue.png" action Jump("buy")
    else:
        imagebutton idle "images/buttons/green.png" action Jump("soldOut")

label start:

show screen shop

pause
    return

label buy:
    menu:
        "Do you want to buy X?"

"Yes":
            $ buyX=1
            jump start
        "No":
            jump start

label soldOut:
    "Sorry. That item is sold out."
    jump start

Niteowl

#4 Post by Niteowl »

Per K Grok wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:59 pm
Niteowl wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:13 pm Guys, please, any input at all?

A small example that might get you started.

default buyX=0

screen shop():
    if buyX==0:
        imagebutton idle "images/buttons/red.png" hover "images/buttons/blue.png" action Jump("buy")
    else:
        imagebutton idle "images/buttons/green.png" action Jump("soldOut")

label start:

show screen shop

pause
    return

label buy:
    menu:
        "Do you want to buy X?"

"Yes":
            $ buyX=1
            jump start
        "No":
            jump start

label soldOut:
    "Sorry. That item is sold out."
    jump start

thanks man, that helps a lot.

I actually found something I could use after digging through the net a bit more....

define s = Character('Sarah', image= 'sarah', color="#c8ffc8")
define f = Character('Frank', image= 'frank', color="#c8ffc8")
image 007 = "007.jpg"
image BlossomChat = "BlossomChat.jpg"
image FW2 = "FW2.jpg"

$ variableX = False

screen char_choice():
    modal True
    imagebutton:
        idle "images/sarah angry.jpg" 
        hover "images/sarah smile.jpg"
        xalign 0.2 yalign 0.5
        focus_mask True 
        action Jump("sarah")
    imagebutton:
        idle "images/frank angry.jpg" 
        hover "images/frank smile.jpg" 
        xalign 0.8 yalign 0.5
        focus_mask True 
        action Jump("frank")

# The game starts here.
label start:
    scene 007
    "You go to the underpass to meet your two friends. You told them you would choose one to go to the dance with."
    show screen char_choice()
    "Which one do you choose?"

label sarah:
    hide screen char_choice
    scene BlossomChat

s "I'm glad you chose me!"
    jump ending

label frank:
    hide screen char_choice
    scene FW2

f "I'm glad you chose me!"
    jump ending

label ending:
    "The dance was great."
    "The end."
it seems to work, but then I didn't know how to add conditional statements...your example seems very clear about adapting something like this to a shop (the conditional statement before the image button is something I was trying to figure out), so yeah, thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Niteowl

#5 Post by Niteowl »

If I may ask one more question....
Is there a way to make it so that if the person buys the item, instead of the imagebutton only a static image appears? (maybe an image of the item with a 'sold' sticker on it...creating the image is not a problem, it's showing it that I"m not sure about)

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer

#6 Post by Per K Grok »

Niteowl wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 pm If I may ask one more question....
Is there a way to make it so that if the person buys the item, instead of the imagebutton only a static image appears? (maybe an image of the item with a 'sold' sticker on it...creating the image is not a problem, it's showing it that I"m not sure about)
I would think the easiest way to get something that works that way would be this change in the earlier code. The green.png now being the item_sold.png.

You could just add the new image as an image, but that will not clear the imagebutton function. This will.

screen shop():
    if buyX==0:
    else:
        imagebutton idle "images/buttons/green.png" action None    #Jump("soldOut")

Niteowl

#7 Post by Niteowl »

Per K Grok wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm
Niteowl wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 pm If I may ask one more question....
I would think the easiest way to get something that works that way would be this change in the earlier code. The green.png now being the item_sold.png.

You could just add the new image as an image, but that will not clear the imagebutton function. This will.

screen shop():
    if buyX==0:
    else:
        imagebutton idle "images/buttons/green.png" action None    #Jump("soldOut")

Thanks again, man. All this helps immensely.

I do have one last question, not related to my project, just to better understand how image buttons work....

in your example, you create the image button in one line, for example:

but in the other example I found on the internet it's done a little differently - example:

screen char_choice():
    modal True
    imagebutton:
        idle "images/sarah angry.jpg" 
        hover "images/sarah smile.jpg"
        xalign 0.2 yalign 0.5
        focus_mask True 
        action Jump("sarah")

I haven't tested your example, yet, but I have to assume it will work... the other example I found works fine too...
so, why the differences?
What does 'modal True' do? Or why isn't it needed in your example...ditto for the 'focus_mask True thingy....

Not a big deal, like I said you already helped immensely and I'll be fine with my project...but yeah, not sure I understand the differences between those two methods

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Per K Grok »

Niteowl wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 pm
------

I haven't tested your example, yet, but I have to assume it will work... the other example I found works fine too...
so, why the differences?
What does 'modal True' do? Or why isn't it needed in your example...ditto for the 'focus_mask True thingy....

Not a big deal, like I said you already helped immensely and I'll be fine with my project...but yeah, not sure I understand the differences between those two methods
As far as I know there is no difference between the two methods of writing, in how they work.

You get a better overview with the method you found, which can be good if you have many attributes attached to the imagebutton. If you have only a few attributes it might be simpler to write everything on one line.

modal and focus_mask are not necessary for the screen to work.

modal True might be good practice to use though, whether it is strictly necessary or not.

From the manual

modal
If True, the screen is modal. A modal screen prevents the user from interacting with displayables below it, except for the default keymap.

focus_mask - multiple
A mask that's used to control what portions of the button can be focused, and hence clicked on. The type of this property determines how it is interpreted.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

If you make a screen modal, then the user cannot interact with anything other than that screen...and therefore cannot advance the game until that screen is gone (unless the screen itself advances the game). So if you have a HUD screen that you want present hanging out while the game continues onward...you don't want that screen to be modal. Calling a screen already makes it so that the user can only interact with a screen...so if you call a screen (rather than show it) then it doesn't need to be modal.

As for focus mask. Let's say you have a button is a circle...well..the image is a transparent square with a green circle in the middle. If you make the focus_mask True, then only the parts of the the image that aren't transparent (i.e. only the circle) will register the button click.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Niteowl

#10 Post by Niteowl »

Thank you for the replies guys.. I learned a lot (and the project is gong fine)