Steam Achievement Not Unlocking [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
OddTillTheEnd
Regular
Completed: Broken Minds (2017), Prison of Lies (2019), Methods (2020), Catalyst Wake (2021)
Projects: JPDE2: Adagio of Darkness (Early access), Blankspace (2020), The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Organization: LockedOn Games
Soundcloud: OddTillTheEnd
itch: lockedon

Steam Achievement Not Unlocking [SOLVED]

#1 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

I'm really sorry to have to post this issue, as this has come up in the forums many times before. But despite going through literally every thread about Steam Achievements, and trying everything I could think of, I can't fix the problem. :cry:

I set up Steam Achievements exactly as it is laid out in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=50060&sid=77f32fe2 ... 9ef6a6c00d
  • steam_appid.txt is in the game's main folder (next to 'README' and all that)
  • The appid is correct
  • I merged the Steam library I got from Tom into the lib folder (I initially replaced the entire lib folder, when that didn't work I merged it, still didn't work)
  • The achievement I want to test is published. It shows up in my Steam library as "unachieved"
  • The achievement name in Steamworks matches the code
  • I downloaded the Ren'Py sdk (twice), triple checked that it's the right version
  • I re-downloaded the Steam library again, just to be sure
After combing this forum extensively, I am assuming this has to do with the error that shows up in the log when I check the local files from Steam:
"Importing _renpysteam: ImportError('No module named _renpysteam',)"

However the only concrete advice I found about it was to re-download the Ren'Py sdk and make sure the version is the latest one — which it is.
There was also some advice I found that didn't seem relevant, about anti-virus software and video cards. I'm using a Mac and the only anti-virus software I have is "CleanMyMac X" which is opt-in, so it wouldn't have deleted anything after I downloaded Ren'Py again unless I told it to.

Just to be doubly sure, here is the code I'm currently using:

Code: Select all

$achievement.grant("ACH_CH1")
	init: 
        	$achievement.register("ACH_CH1")
		$achievement.sync()

$achievement.sync()
I also tried registering the achievement in an "init python" block — nothing.

Anyway, hoping to finally find an answer to this. There are a lot of abandoned threads about the "_renpysteam" module, so somebody's got to have found a solution by now.

Thanks!

— Odd.

Edit:
This has now been solved with Ren'py's new update. I installed the Steam sdk, put in the code and it worked this time! So thanks!
Last edited by OddTillTheEnd on Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Steam Achievement Not Unlocking

#2 Post by jack_norton »

If you're on a Mac, then it can happen. On Windows everything works without problems.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

OddTillTheEnd
Regular
Completed: Broken Minds (2017), Prison of Lies (2019), Methods (2020), Catalyst Wake (2021)
Projects: JPDE2: Adagio of Darkness (Early access), Blankspace (2020), The Elevator Game with Catgirls

#3 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

jack_norton wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:44 am If you're on a Mac, then it can happen. On Windows everything works without problems.
Okay... I don't have access to a Windows computer so I guess I'm stuck?
Why does it happen? It looks like the file is missing or doesn't compile properly? When does it disappear — when I'm Building Distributions or downloading Ren'Py? Would it be possible to find the module and paste it into the build?

— Odd.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#4 Post by jack_norton »

For that you'd need to ask Pytom (Ren'Py main coder).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

#5 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

Alright, thanks! I'll give it a shot.

— Odd.

Rainvillain
Regular

#6 Post by Rainvillain »

Have you had any luck with this? I have the same issue. Achievements popping off just fine on PC but my Mac build nothing is happening.

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

#7 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

Unfortunately not yet! Hmm, does that mean that playing it on Windows, the achievements work fine even if you built it on Mac? So maybe this has less to do with building it on Mac and more with playing it on a Mac? I find this super weird since I know I've played Ren'py games on my Mac where the achievements worked just fine, so there must be a fix out there somewhere.

Rainvillain
Regular

#8 Post by Rainvillain »

OddTillTheEnd wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 pm Unfortunately not yet! Hmm, does that mean that playing it on Windows, the achievements work fine even if you built it on Mac? So maybe this has less to do with building it on Mac and more with playing it on a Mac? I find this super weird since I know I've played Ren'py games on my Mac where the achievements worked just fine, so there must be a fix out there somewhere.
Yeah I built the game on Mac and when I did a build distribution I did the Macintosh x86_64 package and the Windows x86 package and then uploaded those as separate depots on Steam.
The achievements work on the PC but the Mac version nothing happens.
I added the steam app id txt file on a Mac but the lib I got from Tom I added it on a PC since when I unzipped the file on Mac then re-compressed it it created some new MAC OSX folders when I then opened the re-zipped build on PC... before uploading it to Steam (again, on PC).
I wonder if the issue lies with where I placed the lib file from Tom; for the Mac version I had to dig a bit before finding what I assumed was the right spot to place it. I placed it in Contents>MacOS>HERE (which is where the existing lib folder was)

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

#9 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

I see... I built it for all markets, not separate packages for each platform. I guess I'll try that too.

Rainvillain
Regular

#10 Post by Rainvillain »

OddTillTheEnd wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 pm I see... I built it for all markets, not separate packages for each platform. I guess I'll try that too.
I had a few mac users say they couldn't open my build that had PC&Mac in one. I wasn't savvy enough to figure out what the issue was exactly but having the PC and Mac versions as separate downloads seemed to solve that issue.

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

#11 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

Well that's worrying! I wonder if the upcoming built-in Steam distribution option will fix this problem with the Achievements... I don't know too many details though.

emz911
Regular

#12 Post by emz911 »

Rainvillain wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm
OddTillTheEnd wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 pm I see... I built it for all markets, not separate packages for each platform. I guess I'll try that too.
I had a few mac users say they couldn't open my build that had PC&Mac in one. I wasn't savvy enough to figure out what the issue was exactly but having the PC and Mac versions as separate downloads seemed to solve that issue.
Hi there, sorry to interrupt, but I have the Mac achievements failing to sync to Steam achievements problem as well (trophies do not pop up only on a Mac, otherwise works fine on a Windows). I build them together (by the “for market” choice in build distribution), are there any chance that you have fixed this issue by building PC&Mac separately?

Edit: This has been fixed at https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/2765
Last edited by emz911 on Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#13 Post by Kinmoku »

I would also like to know! I can't get achievements working anymore :( (mac user)