A way to make the screen shake regularly

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.

A way to make the screen shake regularly

#1 Post by Guest »

Is there a way to call hpunch and vpunch regularly outside of having to click past text? I want a passive shaking effect about every second / two seconds to mimic a metro or an elevator. Basically, I want to make a short label that I can call at the start of the scenes for those occasions and then turn off once the effect is done.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: A way to make the screen shake regularly

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

What about the doublevision Wiki recipe? I imagine something like that could be tweaked to work ... somehow.

I'm not a great programmer, I just stand on the shoulders of them.

Er, for a moment, I got my hopes up with this: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... ake_effect but it's not quite what you're looking for, you have to call it. It won't just go automatically even when the player is reading. Incidentally, wouldn't that be distracting?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: A way to make the screen shake regularly

#3 Post by Aleema »

vpunch and whatever, don't they have a "punch" sound that comes with them? That would be annoying. (Don't know, because I've never used the command.)

I'd suggest another visual cue to simulate a train, like a white light passing the windows.