[Solved] Change self-voicing voice?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Rekoija

[Solved] Change self-voicing voice?

#1 Post by Rekoija »

You know that self-voice function Renpy has, where if you press "V" a bot will read text aloud for you?
I wanna know if it's possible to change the voice per character, so:

1: is there a different gendered bot in renpy already? (the default one for me is a woman, but i read somewhere someone had male as default?)
2: can you choose a bot for each character, or do they all need to use the same one?

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's telling me that it's not a possibility.
Thanks in advance!

edit: my previous question was answered somewhere else, and there's been no replies here, so i might as well repurpose.
Last edited by Rekoija on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rekoija

Re: change self-voicing voice?

#2 Post by Rekoija »

usually by now (40 views on the post) there'd be an answer, so I'm guessing either nobody knows how to do it, because self-voicing isn't exactly an important part of game making, or because it's not possible to do.
it's fine either way, it's not something I *need,* just thought it'd be nifty. - either way, I'll keep the post up, in case anyone wants to give it a shot.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: change self-voicing voice?

#3 Post by PyTom »

The answer is no.

Self-voicing is meant for assistive text, so it just passes it off to your OS's speech synthesizer.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom