How does Ren'Py generate the Android Icons?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

How does Ren'Py generate the Android Icons?

#1 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

A lot of the time, it's difficult for me to figure out what a game's Android icon will look like until I package it, put it on my phone, then install it. And it seems like a lot of services that claim to preview adaptive icons also require money or some other kind of commitment.

In order to save time and money, I'd like to have a better idea of how the Ren'Py Android packager handles the icons:
- How does it generate icons from a single file, using the old method?
- How does it generate adaptive icons using two files, using the new method?
- What sizes/dimensions are the files supposed to be?

For context, I've tried both methods before, but I get weird results sometimes. In particular, the second method seems to crop instead of scale the image, which gives me wildly different results with different image dimensions (even when everything is still 1:1 aspect ratio). That's why I'd like to know how the final icons are made: I'd like to be able to plan out what the icon will look like without needing to guess around.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How does Ren'Py generate the Android Icons?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

You may find this helpful
https://developer.android.com/google-pl ... ifications

Basically one image is laid atop the other. Both images must be 512x512 pixels and saved as a 32bit PNG file without transparency
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

#3 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

That is useful, I'll see what I can do with this information. It may be a good idea to have this linked to in the Ren'Py documentation about Android icons...
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

https://www.patreon.com/posts/android-adaptive-21752691

Is an article on my patreon that went on a deep dive into this. (I'll merge this into the main Ren'Py documentation at some point.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

lawfullame

#5 Post by lawfullame »

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't change the Android icon in the way described in the Ren'Py documentation.
The Android chapter of Ren'Py documentation is probably outdated and the section on icons lacks a lot of information. The only workaround to change the icon that works for me is to change the icons directly in the rapt folder. And it only works for me using icon.png in different resolutions and not composing icons from the foreground and background.