Changing the narrative text style

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
richycapy
Regular
Organization: EN Productions

Changing the narrative text style

#1 Post by richycapy »

Hi

So, I already started making my game... we removed the dialog box, and change the character define to something like this

Code: Select all

define andy_character = Character("Andy", color="#ba0d15", what_font="fonts/Cabold-Comic.ttf", what_size=28, who_outlines=[ (3, "#161616") ], what_outlines=[ (4, "#161616") ])
So now, when we use a character

andy_character "Although...I haven't seen her since I was little. How will she know what I look like?"
His dialog look like this:

Which it looks better rather than to use a dialog box, but now my problem is when the dialog is not said by no one

Using this:

"{i}However, ever since I can remember, my parents had lots of problems.{/i}"
It looks like this:

So my question is:
Is there a way to create a style on something so I can add it to the code WITHOUT changing the gui.text_font or the gui.interface_text_font since that would mess up my menus and customized screens?

Thanks a lot in advance

nananame
Regular

Re: Changing the narrative text style

#2 Post by nananame »

The simplest way is to edit the code for the say screen.
There's a if check there that looks whether the speaker is defined or not (that is whether you're talking as a character or not), so simply modify the bit for talking without a character.

richycapy
Regular
Organization: EN Productions

[SOLVED] Changing the narrative text style

#3 Post by richycapy »

Hi, just for anyone who wants to know, the solution is here:
viewtopic.php?t=24183