No .exe file generated!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
danasavage
Projects: Girl Games

No .exe file generated!

#1 Post by danasavage »

I seem to have run into an odd issue! I'm running Ren'py on my Mac and when I come to the part where I build distributions, it's not generating an .exe file anywhere! Instead, all that's happening is that it generates a folder with everything but, so: folders for Game, lib and renpy and a couple loose files (girlgames031.py and girlgames031.sh).

When I build for Mac it works perfect, but yeah, no matter what I try to generate an exe file, nothing seems to work. Have tried: PC: Windows & Linux, Windows 86 and Windows, Mac, Linux for Markets and it's the same story every time!

I'm not really too familiar with PC stuff in general (been using a Mac for the last 15 years or so) and the most embarassing thing was that I didnt' even realize anything was wrong. I shared the zipped PC distribution with my Patreons and on a couple forums thinking all was well, and all I got back was a bunch of messages saying "Where's the .exe file??". Argh! Luckily a kindly soul on the Renpy discord was able to help me out - after trying to troubleshoot the issue for a while with no resolve, they very kindly offered to build my project from their machine and then transferred me the zipped folder (which does contain the missing .exe file).

So yeah, in future I'd really like to be able to make my own PC/exe version on my machine if possible! Or is this simply an issue because I'm using a Mac not Windows computer?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: No .exe file generated!

#2 Post by PyTom »

The only thing I could think of is that the exe file was missing in the some place, like some sort of antivirus or something like that is deleting it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

danasavage
Projects: Girl Games

Re: No .exe file generated!

#3 Post by danasavage »

Hmm. That's kinda weird - becuase as far as I know, I'm not running any antivirus. That said, there's a pretty good chance I installed something like 8 years ago on this computer and it's running in the background and I just forgot about it (i'm not the most organized of people!). I'll look into that suggestion, and as another workaround, I might try and dig out my ancient Dell laptop from the attic and see if I can get Ren'py working on that too, simply for building PC distributions! :)