Basic ATL help for Contains Function

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

Basic ATL help for Contains Function

#1 Post by Sayumi101 »

So I'm trying to get this effect going (Look at the character sprite)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/oZ8ypHGkVNA[/youtube]
Please note that I'm a coding noob and I rely very heavily on tutorials to make things work.

This might not be the best way to handle the situation, but this is the code that I'm using. It works well enough but I have two fundamental problems.

Code: Select all

image dizzyy:
        contains:
          im.MatrixColor(
          "rayne/rayne.png" ,
          im.matrix.colorize("#f00", "#00f"))
          easein 0.1 zoom 1.03
          easeout 0.1 zoom 1.0
          block:
             easein 0.3 zoom 1.03 alpha 0.6
             easeout 0.3 zoom 1.0 alpha 1.0
             repeat
        contains:
          im.MatrixColor(
          "rayne/rayne.png" ,
          im.matrix.colorize("#0d2", "#02e"))
          easein 0.05 zoom 1.02
          easeout 0.05 zoom 1.0
          block : 
             easein 0.4 zoom 1.02 alpha 1.0
             easeout 0.4 zoom 1.0 alpha 0.5
             repeat
        contains :
          "rayne" 
          alpha 0.2
          easein 0.2 alpha 1.0

Ze two problems
  • I want to potentially send a layered image as a function to the im.Matrix,Color . Right now, if I do it without specifying an image path it returns me an error saying the displayable is not defined.
  • This image always appears in the same location. Even when I define "show dizzyy at right" it displays at the same place. Is there any way to overcome this?
Or alternately:
  • Would it be easier if I did the image color transforms in photoshop rather than in renpy itself?
  • Is this an unnecessarily heavy code structure.
Any and all help appreciated!
Last edited by Sayumi101 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Basic ATL help for Contains Function

#2 Post by namastaii »

I would do the color transforms on the image itself if it makes no difference.
What is the exact effect you're going for? I think what the video shows is an animation of a photo moving over to the left in the background (on a loop) and then another layer (with transparent windows) bumping up and down as it's own animation image on top.

*update* ohhhh are you talking about the character? hahah I just realized the effect on the sprite

My best guess is there is a matrix change on the main character as it transitions in. (I could be wrong) and the layers under are just semi transparent colored outline/shadows of the character behind him that are animated to move and all of that is in a live composite or layered image that combine those animations. If you look into all you can do with animations then you can probably mess around until you get something you're satisfied with. Sorry I know this wasn't super helpful but haha I work with a lot of animations now but I haven't really experimented with something close to that really. Not yet anyway.