[SOLVED] Hiding HUD during dialogue segments

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
zombiehead

[SOLVED] Hiding HUD during dialogue segments

#1 Post by zombiehead »

Is there any way to hide the hud when someone is speaking? I know i could hide it manually but i'm hoping theres another way so I don't have to do it everytime i start writing dialogue. It'd be perfect if there was a way of knowing when dialogue is being shown on screen and combining that with the showif on the HUD screen?

I just tried setting a variable when the say screen is shown and turning it off when it's hidden, which seems to work for hiding it but it doesnt show again once the dialogue is over.

Thanks.
Last edited by zombiehead on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RicharDann
Veteran

Re: Hiding HUD during dialogue segments

#2 Post by RicharDann »

You could use the renpy.get_screen() function to check if the dialogue screen is being shown:

Code: Select all

showif not renpy.get_screen("say"):
    text "show HUD"
The most important step is always the next one.

zombiehead

Re: Hiding HUD during dialogue segments

#3 Post by zombiehead »

RicharDann wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 am You could use the renpy.get_screen() function to check if the dialogue screen is being shown:

Code: Select all

showif not renpy.get_screen("say"):
    text "show HUD"
Perfect, thanks!