Ren'Py 7.3.5 Android 29 Update

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 7.3.5 Android 29 Update

#1 Post by PyTom »

Hello, everyone.

The Google Play policies require that new apps target Android 10 (Api Level 29), and that if the application supports billing, it has to support Google Play Billing library 3. These changes are now required for new applications, and if you're updating your application, the changes will go into effect on November 1st.

I've made a new release of RAPT, the Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool, for Ren'Py 7.3.5, to make sure that you can release application while I finish Ren'Py 7.4. Since I don't have the ability to make new releases of 7.3, I've made the new RAPT available as a download:

https://www.renpy.org/dl/7.3.5/renpy-7. ... oid-29.zip

To install the RAPT update:

1) If you already have RAPT installed, rename the renpy-7.3.5-sdk/rapt/ directory to "rapt-28", to make a backup of it.

2) Download the update, and place into renpy-7.3.5-sdk/ (this is the directory that has renpy.exe, renpy.sh, and renpy.app in it).

3) Unzip the update. Make sure that it doesn't add renpy-7.3.5-rapt-android-29 to the front of each path - you should get renpy-7.3.5-sdk/rapt/ back again. If you see a directory named renpy-7.3.5-rapt-android-29, then copy renpy-7.3.5-rapt-android-29/rapt into the renpy-7.3.5-sdk/ directory.

4) If you had RAPT installed already, copy rapt-28/android.keystore over to rapt/.

5) Start the launcher, and tell Ren'Py to install the SDK.

Do these five steps, and you should be ready to release applications that target Android 10 and Google Play Billing 3.

Please let me know if you have any questions, if you have trouble getting this working, or even if it works fine for you.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Ren'Py 7.3.5 Android 29 Update

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Appreciate the work as always, thanks Pytom.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

FroGlenn
Regular

#3 Post by FroGlenn »

Thank you!

Meg'
Regular
Projects: Anges Démoniaques, Gang (Alex & Hugo), Le passé dans les veines

#4 Post by Meg' »

Thank you, Pytom! :)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#5 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Alright, this is fast. Thank you

Edited on August 27: I've successfully published on Playstore with this version. So far works well and no problem!
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

DarkChibiShadow
Regular
Completed: Tomai (BxB), Disaster Log C (GxG), One-Eyed Lee P.1 (Point-and-click)
Projects: Solanaceae: After All
Tumblr: dcsart
Deviantart: DarkChibiShadow
itch: darkchibishadow

#6 Post by DarkChibiShadow »

Hey! This patch works great but me and a friend noticed a weird error with Google Play and we're not sure if others are having this problem-- with the new update, it now says any game we make has "in-app purchases" despite us configuring the game with the "no in-app purchases" option, we're not sure if this is a problem on Google Play's end or if it's detecting something in the code that we aren't aware of. I'm also wondering if allowing the app access to the internet might effect this or not.

It's VERY strange thing, just wanted to make people aware Google Play could falsely flag with this, and make it aware just in case it's some kind of tiny bug.

Thanks as always for your hard work Tom!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#8 Post by tiya_nofurita »

DarkChibiShadow wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:02 pm Hey! This patch works great but me and a friend noticed a weird error with Google Play and we're not sure if others are having this problem-- with the new update, it now says any game we make has "in-app purchases" despite us configuring the game with the "no in-app purchases" option, we're not sure if this is a problem on Google Play's end or if it's detecting something in the code that we aren't aware of. I'm also wondering if allowing the app access to the internet might effect this or not.

It's VERY strange thing, just wanted to make people aware Google Play could falsely flag with this, and make it aware just in case it's some kind of tiny bug.

Thanks as always for your hard work Tom!
ooh, I thought it is just me :o I just realized it too after you mentioned this haha
but this is not a big problem actually
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL