OBB file is automatically deleted after the download finished?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

OBB file is automatically deleted after the download finished?

#1 Post by Chu-3 »

So this is the weirdest issue I got so far on Android. I'm not sure what has caused the issue, but it only happened with my project which is using Renpy, so I decided to write it here.

What happened is, after the OBB finished being downloaded and the apk is installed (I downloaded the apk using the internal testing from Google Play dev console), suddenly the OBB just deleted (I can see the file size suddenly turned 0 after it finished being downloaded for 100MB++) automatically, even if I haven't launched the app.
I tried the build install and launch feature on Renpy and it works well.
If I manually copy paste the obb file to inside the obb folder, the game is also working fine.
So, I'm kind of suspicious with the Google Play Protect system.

What made it different with other renpy app, is probably because I edited the name/ icon name inside .android file inside the game project file, to the Japanese name using the Unicode Escape Sequence.
It was okay so far with the previous version which... I forgot the Renpy version I used to build in past.
I tried to build another project which is using the English system only and it worked fine.
As far I'm pretty clueless about how to keep the title in Japanese while make the obb works fine. Probably I will simply remove the app from the store as no one download it recently though 🤣 But yeah, it'll be cool if we can get a solution here.

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King

Re: OBB file is automatically deleted after the download finished?

#2 Post by Chu-3 »

So additional to this issue, I have tried to change the game's title to alphabets only but still the obb got deleted once the download is finished and I can't launch the game.I still has no solution for this issue but well, maybe it's easier to stop selling the game on google play for now. Any help are appreciated T_T

Additionally, I also used the license key and the google play salt and delete the obb to test if the game can download the obb from google play if there's something wrong within the download, but as far there's no success as it only shows progress bar for a moment then closed. (This also happens for non Japanese game)

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by rayminator »

have you updated renpy to Ren'Py 7.3.5 Android 29 Update at all? that might be the reason

Chu-3
Veteran

#4 Post by Chu-3 »

Actually this problem happens after I updated to android 29 and uploaded it for internal testing. It was fine with the previous version (for the obb) I just... don't know why after I rebuilt it with the one forAndroid 29 the obb keeps being deleted after the download finished for my Japanese version app. I suspect that google play might think it contains malware but then idk how to check it without uploading to virus total as virus total is not private.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by rayminator »

have you report this to google as well?

it might be on there end as well?

all I can suggest is to make the game as apk allow player to download it and install it under the unknown app/sources

try to install it without google play by putting the apk into the phone and open it with a apk installer

if you need more info on how to install apk without google just go here

https://www.lifewire.com/install-apk-on-android-4177185

is there any nudity in your game?

Chu-3
Veteran

#6 Post by Chu-3 »

which means it must be delivered outside google play and can't be used to update the recent build on google play 🤣

and no, my games are completely free of nudity and safe for all-ages. Since the English version obb worked fine, I suspicy that the Japanese text inside the obb caused the obb to be mistakenly recognized as contains malware or something?
I doubt google can check the game content of which might be falsely detected as malware...(I think I contacted them before about google api weird behavior and they can't helped it because they don't check into inside my app assets one by one, but later I found the cause on my side.) So yeah, this time I believe removing the app from google play is the easiest option. I'll just put it on amazon appstore as it won't need any update.