Save Ren'py game as single .exe file?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

Save Ren'py game as single .exe file?

#1 Post by VimislikArt »

Is there a way to save a ren'py game as a single .exe file? I'm looking to send my game out to reviewers, and I was hoping a single .exe would be a bit less intimidating to start up than the "unzip and find the .exe" method.

I tried using Enigma Virtual Box to convert it to a single exe, but I think it works off of the assumption that the .exe file would link only to a single folder, instead of Ren'py's architecture that sort of nestles the .exe amongst a bunch of different folders.

Can I make an .exe that just links to the inner .exe? Is there another method that works better than Enigma?
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

drKlauz
Veteran

Re: Save Ren'py game as single .exe file?

#2 Post by drKlauz »

You can make web version and send link to it. No need to download and run things, everything is in browser. Tho that loading time...
I may be available for hire, check my thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=51350

VimislikArt
Regular

#3 Post by VimislikArt »

drKlauz wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:34 am You can make web version and send link to it. No need to download and run things, everything is in browser. Tho that loading time...
Haha, I actually saw that as a last resort option, buuuuut that might be a good fit for my particular situation. Thanks!
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

uyjulian
Regular
Github: uyjulian

#4 Post by uyjulian »

Set "lib/windows-i686/<game name>.exe" as the executable to run.

If you are using the web version, it's recommended to use progressive download, included in the nightly builds of Ren'Py, so initial startup time is lower.
See https://renpy.beuc.net/ for more information.
See https://nightly.renpy.org/current/index.html for nightly builds.
You can also recompress your game. See viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45400

VimislikArt
Regular

#5 Post by VimislikArt »

uyjulian wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 pm Set "lib/windows-i686/<game name>.exe" as the executable to run.
That didn't work in the Enigma Virtual box thing I'm using - again, I think it's working off of the assumption that the .exe only links to a single folder inside the structure, since a few tutorials referred to this same structure.

I'll go to the Patreon and slap down a buck or two so I can try out the progressive downloads, though!

ichfly

#6 Post by ichfly »

You can also use winrar and convert the zip file into a sfx.You can configurate the sfx to self extract to a temp folder and than start.