How to make toggleVariable work?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
akio93

How to make toggleVariable work?

#1 Post by akio93 »

Hello! I’m newb in coding and I don’t know if my question and explanation will make sense but here we go.. (sorry for my bad english btw ; u ; )

I'm using toggleVariable button, which acts like a scheduler. You select what you want to do that day and it will remember and do something according to what you selected. My problem is, how do I code it to do it like that? (If you have different way of coding that produce same result and easier to understand let me know too ; u ; I just use toggleViarable since I can toggle the selection off/on ahahaha)

For example, if I select [Hunt], I’ll go hunt but the outcome will be random, either I get a deer, a rabbit or nothing. If left unselected, it will only say that 'you didn’t hunt that day'. Points will also be deducted from hunger points if you selected it.
Then on the next screen it will tell the result if I get a deer, a rabbit or nothing or I didn’t hunt that day. Then the same thing repeat the next day.

Here’s a drawing since I don’t know how to code it ; 7 ;

Here, I select [Hunt(-2hp)] and [Travel(-2hp)], leaving [Scavage] unselected.

Here's the result of my choice. +2 for food if you caught an animal. +1hp and +1 day at the end of the day.

Then it will repeat again, with points and days updated.

I also what to know if it’s possible to trigger an event on certain day; like if you reached [DAY 10] a wild bear will try to break-in to your house. Then the game goes on until you encounter another day-event or ending.
Last edited by akio93 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to make toggleVariable work?

#2 Post by hell_oh_world »

I kinda don't understand what's the question in this. The title says it yeah, but the thread content just explains the things that you did already so I don't know how to help about it since you got it working already. You can always refer to the actions doc about the ToggleVariable action to learn more about it. https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_a ... leVariable
(If you have different way of coding that produce same result and easier to understand let me know too ; u ; I just use toggleViarable since I can toggle the selection off/on ahahaha)
I think I can help with this one. For cases like this, where the player is given a lot of options and you'll produce a certain action from that event, then it might be better to use a list and store all the options picked by the player.

Code: Select all

default picked_activities = []
default activities = ("Hunt", "Scavenge", "Travel")

screen activity_selector():
  vbox:
    for activity in activities:
      textbutton activity:
        action If(
          activity in picked_activities,
          Function(picked_activities.remove, activity), # true action
          Function(picked_activities.append, activity) # false action
        )

selected (activity in picked_activities)

textbutton "DONE" action Return()

label start:
  call activity_selector
  return

label activity_selector:
  call screen activity_selector
  if "Hunt" in picked_activities:
    call hunt

if "Scavenge" in picked_activities:
    call scavenge

if "travel" in picked_activities:
    call travel

return

label hunt:
  "I'm hunting now"
  return

label scavenge:
  "I'm scavenging now"
  return

label travel:
  "I'm travelling now"
  return
I also what to know if it’s possible to trigger an event on certain day; like if you reached [DAY 10] a wild bear will try to break-in to your house. Then the game goes on until you encounter another day-event or ending.
I think you can try to make if checks / conditions in the label that dictates the new day and jump into event label that you made like if day == 10 etc.

akio93

Re: How to make toggleVariable work?

#3 Post by akio93 »

hell_oh_world wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:34 am
Hello! thank you very much for showing me another coding option, I'll try to study it and make it work :D
oh I think I forgot to write my question.. :oops:

Basically, I was asking how to code it, I can make the buttons but making the buttons do something(like the picture above) stumped me ahaha
sorry for not explaining it clearly.. orz