[SOLVED] Making the WHO on a say screen a textbutton while keeping its who_color?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

[SOLVED] Making the WHO on a say screen a textbutton while keeping its who_color?

#1 Post by qirien »

I just added a Bios section to my game, where it has a little bio for every character in the game. I want the player to be able to click on the name of anyone speaking and have it jump to their entry in the bio. This part is actually working fine.

However, now that the name of the speaker is a textbutton instead of text, my custom colors that I have setup for each Character no longer work. The color is getting passed to the label part of the name, not the label_text (which is what you need for buttons).

Here's an example character:

Code: Select all

define her = Character("[her_name]", image="her", ctc="ctc_blink", ctc_position="nestled") #light fuschia
While I could set the color inside of each name like this:

define her = Character("{color=#d1a2b8}[her_name]{/color}", image="her", ctc="ctc_blink", ctc_position="nestled") #light fuschia
then I'd have to change the text passed into the say screen to take out all that stuff before I pass it to the bios screen so it knows which bio to show.

Is there a way to get the who_color out of the character object somehow? Or make a label a button without making it a textbutton so it can continue to use the who_color?
Last edited by qirien on Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finished games:

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Making the WHO on a say screen a textbutton while keeping its who_color?

#2 Post by hell_oh_world »

Kinda works for me, maybe i just didn't understand it clearer. But this is how i set it up.

define mc = Character("mc", who_color="#f00")
screen say(who, what):
  if who is not None:

button:
                id "namebox"
                action NullAction() # whatever your action should be when the who is clicked...

text who:
                    id "who"
                    hover_underline True
The who color is still showing in this.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: Making the WHO on a say screen a textbutton while keeping its who_color?

#3 Post by qirien »

Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to do! I didn't know you could use buttons this way (I've only used textbuttons and imagebuttons), but it makes sense (and also helps solve a different problem I had). Many thanks!
Finished games: