How to display dialogue and narrator on same line

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
craze

How to display dialogue and narrator on same line

#1 Post by craze »

Hi everyone. Im just start to mess around with renpy and start to understand some basics. But there is something i try to do but can 't find a way to do it fast in my code.

This is what i want: i try to make a dialogue with quote mark and have a narrator sentence just after it on the same line.
Here an example: "Hello mister" she says shyly. The part with quotes is what i call the dialogue and the second part is what i call the narrator.
I know the easy but long way to do it by using the backslash: "\"Hello Mister"\ she say shyly"

But for me its become a bit complicated when you have different font for narrator and character.

I define all my characters to have proper font with what_prefix and suffixe to had quote marks and use the gui.text_font ( the default in game font) as narrator.

So my question is how can i combine my define character dialogue with the narrator comment?

Hope i be clear enough and thanks for your time :D

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to display dialogue and narrator on same line

#2 Post by gas »

You don't have to define two speakers like "narrator" and "character" fro the same line of dialogue, they can't be summed up and you approach create some logical issue.
Speakers are not just text managers, but more complicate stuff.

You have instead to create a style tag and apply it to the dialogue part alone.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/text.htm ... -text-tags
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

craze

#3 Post by craze »

Of course, when you point it out it seems so evident. There is so much abstract things in documentation that its not easy to define were to look for what you want.
But thanks thats totally what i wanted.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gas »

The doc is actually divided two parts, the first being the Quick Tutorial. If you don't follow it, what's left in the second part is pure nomenclature and surely that's confusing on his own. Tragicly, there's no way to do it differently.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN