Help with CTC positioning?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Wendyd24
Regular

Help with CTC positioning?

#1 Post by Wendyd24 »

Hey again.

I'm trying to figure out how to have a fixed position for a ctc(click to continue button), but I'm having trouble.

I'm trying to achieve a bouncing effect at the bottom middle of the textbox after the dialogue is finished, so I do not want it nestled, and I was attempting to use an ATL, but I can't get the fixed position to be recognized.

Code: Select all

init offset = -2

define narrator = Character(None,
    ctc="ctc.png",
    ctc_position="fixed",)

image ctc:
    "ctc.png",
    yalign 0.5 xalign 0.5,
    linear 0.5 xalign 0.60,
    linear 0.5 xalign 0.5,
    repeat

If I removed the

ctc_position="fixed",)

then it defaults to nestled, but with that code there, it places the ctc icon in the top right corner, not adjusting to any changes in the ATL numbers.

I know this is a workaround way of doing this, and I didn't want it to be my final solution since I would need to define the ctc in every characters definition, so if there is a better way to do this please let me know! This was all I could really find on the subject and even it is failing me lol.

Thanks for the help. Another thing! Is there anywhere better for me to ask such simple questions? I don't see a questions/help section in the renpy discord so maybe this is the best place?

RicharDann
Veteran

Re: Help with CTC positioning?

#2 Post by RicharDann »

In the Character definition, you are not using the "ctc" displayable you created with ATL properties, you're telling it to use directly "ctc.png" which is the image file you placed in your project's images folder. So you need to have it like this:

define narrator = Character(None,
    ctc="ctc",
    ctc_position="fixed")
You may want to change your ATL image name to something like ctc_anim to avoid confusing the parameters.
The most important step is always the next one.