Text not justified or centered [ SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Text not justified or centered [ SOLVED]

#1 Post by JinzouTamashii »

The text isn't justifying...

Everyone takes the kind=char property and char has it enabled, but the first and second lines are not justified... I also can't seem to center it now, though I have declared what_xalign=0.5 as a tuple.

I can take them out or add them, it doesn't matter. Absolutely nothing changes.

Code: Select all

$ char = Character(what_slow_cps=35, who_suffix = ':', what_prefix='“', what_suffix='”', ctc=anim.Blink("arrow.png", xpos=760, ypos=560, xanchor=0, yanchor=0), ctc_position="fixed", show_two_window=True, show_who_window_properties={ "background" :  "namebox.png" }, what_font="MPlantin.ttf", color="#D1D1D1", what_outlines=[ (1, "#678")], justify=True, window_right_padding=110, what_xalign=0.5)
notjustified.PNG
It's a lame placeholder but please ignore it.

This is the character's code.

$ m = Character('Madhavi', color="#9966CC", what_outlines=[ (1, "#A7B") ], kind=char)
I would also like to add the outline into the namebox.
Last edited by JinzouTamashii on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Papaxibe
Projects: Season of Sakura Brasil

Re: Text not justified or centered

#2 Post by Papaxibe »

Hi JinzouTamashii

The problem is the Character Object doesn't have the property justify. This property is from the TEXT of the Character. Then, you must declare a style for your character, this style has the property justify.

Example:

$ style.create("justify_style", "default", u"(text) Justify Style")

$ style.justify_style.justify = True

$ char = Character(what_slow_cps=35, who_suffix = ':', what_prefix='“', what_suffix='”', ctc=anim.Blink("arrow.png", xpos=760, ypos=560, xanchor=0, yanchor=0), ctc_position="fixed", show_two_window=True, show_who_window_properties={ "background" :  "namebox.png" }, what_font="MPlantin.ttf", color="#D1D1D1", what_outlines=[ (1, "#678")], what_style = "justify_style", window_right_padding=110, what_xalign=0.5)
Thanks for attention

Papaxibé
Enquanto as andorinhas pastarem a relva selvagem, e os elefantes salpicarem de galho em galho, um velho sentado na pedra de pau, calado assim dizia: os três sábios da antiguidade eram quatro, Danúbio e Jacó.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Text not justified or centered [ SOLVED! ]

#3 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Oh! I have learned something new now! I am sure this will be helpful to everyone!
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Text not justified or centered [ SOLVED]

#4 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I wonder if I can also turn

style.say_who_window.xalign = 0.25
for the namebox into a style only to be inherited by certain characters (major ones with portraits)?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Rather than creating an entire new style, you could have simply added:

what_justify=True

to the character. In a character, style properties can be used with prefixes. the what_ prefix applies to the actual dialogue. The window_ prefix applies to the window. The who_ prefix (or no prefix at all) applies to the name of the Character.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I bow to the King of Ren'Py...

I am only a lowly minion trying to learn his Majesty's much-vaunted arts... I will sure scribe this wisdom for future reference.