Ren'Py Script Spell Checker

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
hlieberman
Github: hlieberman

Ren'Py Script Spell Checker

#1 Post by hlieberman »

Hello Ren'Py authors and artists!

Over the last couple of months, I've been working on a spelling and grammar checker that can parse Ren'Py scripts and check dialogue inside the script itself. I know a lot of people right now have to either deal with false positives from their spell checker detecting code, or having to paste things back and forth between an actual text editor and your script file.

Now, you have a third option: renspell! It is beta-quality software, but it has successfully run checks on 15,000+ line scripts.

It can run on any computer with both Python and Java installed. You can install it through pip, the python package index.

If you have any questions or you run into problems, please feel free to post to this thread, file a bug, or come talk to me on the Ren'Py Discord. Hopefully it will help some of you!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Ren'Py Script Spell Checker

#2 Post by jack_norton »

Hey, this looks very useful! I plan to give it a try when I have some time :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

hlieberman

#3 Post by hlieberman »

Awesome. Please let me know if you run into any trouble, or if there is functionality that you want incorporated. So far, we've done another two releases since this post adding functionality that people on the Ren'Py discord requested.

henvu50
Veteran

#4 Post by henvu50 »

Can you guys tell me what PIP is? How do I gain access to PIP? Is it an API Call, a function? What is it? Is it an exe?

hlieberman

#5 Post by hlieberman »

henvu50 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:45 pm Can you guys tell me what PIP is? How do I gain access to PIP? Is it an API Call, a function? What is it? Is it an exe?
pip is an installer for python utilities. What operating system are you on? If it's Windows, try following the instructions here to get pip installed: https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/install-pip-windows/

henvu50
Veteran

#6 Post by henvu50 »

hlieberman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:02 pm
henvu50 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:45 pm Can you guys tell me what PIP is? How do I gain access to PIP? Is it an API Call, a function? What is it? Is it an exe?
pip is an installer for python utilities. What operating system are you on? If it's Windows, try following the instructions here to get pip installed: https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/install-pip-windows/
Thanks for the response! Since Ren'py uses Python 2.7 , should I use the PIP version associated with Python 2.7?

hlieberman

#7 Post by hlieberman »

Because python2 is end-of-life, I wrote renspell in python3. python2 and python3 should happily live side-by-side, however! The utility may be called pip3, rather than pip, for the python3 version, depending on the specific versions of python you have installed. The python3 Windows installer should have come with pip already, in fact.

If you open up a command prompt, try running: pip3 --version

If that gives you an error, try: pip --version

It should say something like "pip 20.3.4 from C:\Some\Folder (python 3.9)" or similar.

henvu50
Veteran

#8 Post by henvu50 »

hlieberman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:41 pm Because python2 is end-of-life, I wrote renspell in python3. python2 and python3 should happily live side-by-side, however! The utility may be called pip3, rather than pip, for the python3 version, depending on the specific versions of python you have installed. The python3 Windows installer should have come with pip already, in fact.

If you open up a command prompt, try running: pip3 --version

If that gives you an error, try: pip --version

It should say something like "pip 20.3.4 from C:\Some\Folder (python 3.9)" or similar.
This is very helpful. I appreciate it.

Can I ask you one more question? If Ren'py currently only supports Python 2.7, how are people using Python 3 along with it? PyTom said something about Ren'py being compatible somehow with Python 3, but only in Ren'py 8.0 will it have Python 3.0 support. So does the current version of Ren'py support Python 3 or not? It's confusing.

hlieberman

#9 Post by hlieberman »

henvu50 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:04 am Can I ask you one more question? If Ren'py currently only supports Python 2.7, how are people using Python 3 along with it? PyTom said something about Ren'py being compatible somehow with Python 3, but only in Ren'py 8.0 will it have Python 3.0 support. So does the current version of Ren'py support Python 3 or not? It's confusing.
My script doesn’t actually use any code from Ren’py to parse the .rpy scripts. I wrote a parser separately in part because I wanted it to be written in Python 3.

Things can interface with Ren’py that are written in Python 3, despite it being a Python 2 library. Not as easily as if they were the same version, but it’s possible. However Ren’py /itself/ still requires Python 2.

DavidCF77
Deviantart: DavidCF77
Github: DavidCF77
itch: DavidCF

#10 Post by DavidCF77 »

Hi there,
In the future would you ever look at possibly making this a plugin for say Notepad++ where the user would have grammar and spell checking going at the same time?
Thanks.