Adding an OP, How is it done?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RappyRed
Regular

Adding an OP, How is it done?

#1 Post by RappyRed »

Yeah, I tried using the search function, there is a thread about Trailers and OP but nowhere in it I found on how to actually Insert videos as your opening, and actually making them as an Opening.

By god I should try to decrease the number of threads I make :roll:

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: Adding an OP, How is it done?

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Combine the splashscreen code from the Ren'PyWiki Cookbook and the movie code used in the demo game. I'm not able to give you the programming or the links right now, maybe someone else can help.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

RappyRed
Regular

#3 Post by RappyRed »

Yeah so I got a Video file, I know the code to make the video show, but

1. I do not know how to make the video play Before the main menu opens, And if possible I also need to know how to make it so when you click when the video starts it instantly moves you to main menu.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

You want to use the splash screen effect to make it show before the menu.

I'm pretty sure the movie will already skip once you click on it. At least, that's how it works in the Ren'py demo. Is it not doing that for you when you've been testing it?

RappyRed
Regular

#5 Post by RappyRed »

Fair enough, I did so, but it only shows a black screen, is it because the file format is .OGG? should it be a different format?

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by sake-bento »

I think .OGG is a sound only file. If you want it to be a movie, it should be either an .MOV or Theora.

Vorsic

#7 Post by Vorsic »

sake-bento wrote:I think .OGG is a sound only file. If you want it to be a movie, it should be either an .MOV or Theora.
OGG is a container format so it can be a video. I've seen Theora videos with a .OGG file extension.

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#8 Post by delta »

sake-bento wrote:I think .OGG is a sound only file. If you want it to be a movie, it should be either an .MOV or Theora.
.mov is a container format (and one that Ren'Py does not support at that). What you most often see in .ogg containers is Vorbis, which is an audio codec, but it also supports other codecs. Theora is a video codec, and Ren'Py supports Theora video + Vorbis audio in .ogg or .mkv (Matroshka) containers, among others. Why am I even writing it out it's all in the docs grmblsdkjfnks.

If you want to be a good open source citizen, go with Theora + Vorbis in Matroshka. EASY MODE is probably Xvid + MP3 in AVI. But any combination of the above is valid (I use Xvid + Vorbis in Matroshka).
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Why are you like this all the time? It's possible to be helpful without being snide or snarky.

What programs convert to Theora? Can SUPER or After Effects do it?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

delta
Epitome of Generic

#10 Post by delta »

I ended up using HandBrake, but wasn't really satisfied with its Theora output, but maybe that's just Theora's problem itself (I tried Xiph's QT component too and it was even worse). Xvid worked much better. Then again I'm on a Mac and don't like command line encoders, so that limits the choice somewhat.

On Windows, ffdshow supports Theora so in theory it should work from any encoder. Good luck with that though, things are never as easy as they seem. Theora is not nearly as mature a codec as Vorbis or Xvid are.

And quite simply, asking questions that are answered in the manual is asking for ridicule. Be thankful that I'm the only one here willing to dish it out. Too bad that I am apparently also one of the few people that have actually read the manual.

Jake
Support Hero

#11 Post by Jake »

JinzouTamashii wrote:It's possible to be helpful without being snide or snarky.
This.

And honestly, it may all be in the manual if you know exactly what you're looking for, but given that:

a) the average internet user has no idea what the difference is between a container and a codec and
b) the manual is written by a programmer, for programmers, and 95% of it is unreadable for everyone else,

there's no reason to ridicule.

Yes, people could spend an hour learning the way digital video works and the various different formats for container and encoding, and struggle through the manual on their own, but it doesn't help anyone to be bitchy when they ask a question which you're perfectly capable of answering in a couple of seconds. They're not going to think "Oh, I should just get frustrated by the manual next time and look everything up and take ten times longer to find the answer than just asking someone who knows", they're going to think "Oh, Delta is obnoxious".
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

delta
Epitome of Generic

#12 Post by delta »

Jake wrote:they're going to think "Oh, Delta is obnoxious".
You think I care? I'd rather have people pissed at me and more willing to solve their own problems in the future than to be universally loved and having to hear the same questions over and over again. Also, yes it's possible to be helpful without being myself, but that is more effort. Considering that I already spend effort actually making an informative post, that's not going to happen. BTW it's also possible to think "lol lsf" and facepalm in silence. Which is what I do most of the time anyway.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by JinzouTamashii »

That's because it stems from elitism or the attitude that you think you're better than everyone else. But you know what? You started out as a newbie too! Someone had to help you, by writing a guide or instructions or showing you or telling you (even if it's just the documentation for the program you're using or the Help file) and I bet they weren't rude!

I don't know, I was raised by my parents to try to be polite unless given a good reason otherwise, even in America. If you're going to offer someone a hand, be nice about it or just keep your mouth shut...

There's a difference between being honest and rude. You can be both but that doesn't make it right.

One of these days, delta, you're going to want help and someone is going to remember how you treated them and you're not going to get it.
Last edited by JinzouTamashii on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Now, that I have time, I can also go into greater detail.

Here are the links:
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/FAQ#Why ... en.27Py.3F (list of codecs and crap that work)

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... een_Effect (splashscreen effect, just delete the text stuff and put in... )

Code: Select all

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("On_Your_Mark.mpg")
or

Code: Select all

init:
    image movie = Movie(size=(400, 300), xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5)

#this goes inside that splashscreen code
    scene black
    show movie
    play movie "incubus.mkv"
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/reference/Movies (in more detail)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by sake-bento »

RappyRed, I apologize for giving you erroneous advice. I read the docs and misunderstood MPEG-4 to be an .MOV file because I was tired and in a hurry. It was an error on my part, and I hope you don't think too poorly of me because of it. ^-^