Archive sounds? Optimum file format? [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Strum
Veteran

Archive sounds? Optimum file format? [Solved]

#1 Post by Strum »

Hi, I was wondering if sound files can be archived as well. To be more precise, voice files. I hate to have a folder filled with literally thousands of voice samples. Also what format would you recommend to voice samples to be saved as, I'm thinking wav but maybe there's a more file size friendly format I could use without losing out on quality.
Last edited by Strum on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: Archive sounds? Optimum file format?

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

OGG, quality 4 or 5. In Audacity, I think it's called "Speech" quality.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Strum
Veteran

#3 Post by Strum »

Is it much smaller than wavs? When I converted some midis to ogg, the music changed slightly. I'm worried the voice will change too and that's something I can't allow, the voices have to be spot on.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#4 Post by thebackup »

From my experience I recorded voices using WAV then batch convert to OGG; nothing changed in terms of how it sounded.

WAVs are uncompressed audio, so they'll be much smaller when you convert / save to OGG.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#5 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Just don't lower the quality too much or it will sound staticky or tinny. I can't really describe it.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Vorsic

#6 Post by Vorsic »

Strum wrote:Is it much smaller than wavs? When I converted some midis to ogg, the music changed slightly. I'm worried the voice will change too and that's something I can't allow, the voices have to be spot on.
MIDI files are different, the reason the music changed is because MIDIs sound different on different computers, OGG and WAV will sound the same on different computers. As long as you don't lower the quality too much when you convert it to an OGG you wont be able to tell the difference.

Strum
Veteran

#7 Post by Strum »

I see, then how about archiving the sound files? Is it possible?

Vorsic

#8 Post by Vorsic »

Yes, you can archive sound files. When you click the "Archive Files" button you can enter other files names, just add the file names for the sound files to the list.

Strum
Veteran

#9 Post by Strum »

Ah, thank you that's just what I wanted to know.