Any list of up to date Ren'py frameworks & code snippets, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel constantly?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
henvu50
Veteran

Any list of up to date Ren'py frameworks & code snippets, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel constantly?

#1 Post by henvu50 »

Are there any websites or posts on this forum that have an up to date list of ren'py frameworks & code snippets for the most common things a Ren'py game needs?

Things like,

- RPG Battle System (Up to date 2021, fully tested)
- Room Navigation System (Up to date 2021, fully tested)

Anything like above or does everyone keep reinventing the wheel for the own projects?

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Any list of up to date Ren'py frameworks & code snippets, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel constantly?

#2 Post by _ticlock_ »

Hi, henvu50,

I believe, that is what Cookbook for.

The following might be useful:
Best of Cookbook
Animated RPG Battle Engine 1.2
16 mini games RenPy

There are often links to Github, so you can have an idea if it is still relevant. I often find some outdated systems (when googling) that still can be adapted/updated with reasonable efforts.

I believe, the reason why there is not such a list is that it is hard to keep it updated and tested without proper motivation. The other problem it is hard to have universal and easy to use system. So, it can be sometimes easier to take basic implementation and modify it to fit the project(maybe adapting python code found elsewhere). And, of course, people are typically not eager to share well built and tested code for free.

RicharDann
Veteran

Re: Any list of up to date Ren'py frameworks & code snippets, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel constantly?

#3 Post by RicharDann »

There are no up-to-date and beginner-friendly navigation systems that I know of, the newest one dates to something like 2015-2017, but I think it might still work. I'm currently working on my own, I might release to the cookbook if I determine it is useful, but these are more complicated than it seems, as they stray a lot from what Ren'Py is made for.
In most people's opinion (not mine, mind you), those are not the most common things a Ren'Py game needs, since it's focused on being a visual novel engine first and foremost, so there's not much interest in working on code like rpg engines or navigational systems that go against what a typical visual novel is, just text and choices, that Ren'Py does include by default.
Ren'Py is flexible enough that it can be used to create whatever system you can imagine, but often times even if you use code from the cookbook, you'll have to change things one way or another to fit your needs, or to adapt to changes the engine makes as it is improved and updated.
The most important step is always the next one.

zmook
Veteran

#4 Post by zmook »

A Ren'Py wiki would be an ideal place to maintain a list like this, but it would need someone willing to commit to moderating it.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM