Auto generate screen to test layeredimage?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
crysil
Completed: DUFE, Snow Angel
Projects: Dual Chroma
Organization: Galen Games
itch: galengames

Auto generate screen to test layeredimage?

#1 Post by crysil »

So I'm not really a programmer and its really hard for me to tell what a LayeredImage will look like given different attribute combinations.
I want to auto generate a screen like this:
Screen_Shot_2021-03-12_at_11.31.28_PM.png
Where i can just toggle through attributes and see what works best then copy it and use it in a normal "say" or "show" statement or give it to my writer to use.

Any idea how to go about this? By either passing in a LayeredImage or a filepath with images??

Thanks!!
Don't settle for a life less than what you are capable of living!
Artist & dev
Itch: https://galengames.itch.io/
Site: https://www.galengames.com/

zmook
Veteran

Re: Auto generate screen to test layeredimage?

#2 Post by zmook »

That sounds like a very useful tool and one that would be really non-trivial to write. If no one volunteers to take it up as a project, one alternative is to open the dev console and just directly type the expression you think you want, like "show eileen cam half" and see what comes up.

(Fair warning, I've never touched a Layered Image, so there might be a better way.)
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM