what_suffix and Image text tag

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Okapi

what_suffix and Image text tag

#1 Post by Okapi »

Hello Everyboy
I'm using the following code in my project, as a way to have an animated image (20 Frames)at the end of each characters dialogue.

Code: Select all

define abc = Character(what_suffix="  {image=animated_image}")
The Problem is, I'm using slow text speed and the animation is apparently already loaded in the background at the start of the dialogue, meaning that when it actually shows up at the end of the dialogue, it doesn't start with Frame 1, but at a random frame, depending on how long the text took to display. I want the picture to only start loading when it is actually being shown, so that it starts smoothly with Frame 1.
I've tried experimenting with some other text tags in combination with the image text tag, but none of them worked for one reaason or another( Though it is possible I just did something wrong with them).
Does somebody know a solution for this?
Thank you in advance :)

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: what_suffix and Image text tag

#2 Post by Alex »

Okapi wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm ...
Try to use CTC (click-to-continue indicator) instead of suffix image.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/dialogue.html
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60418&p=535396&hilit=ctc#p535396

Okapi

#3 Post by Okapi »

Alex wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:48 am
Okapi wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm ...
Try to use CTC (click-to-continue indicator) instead of suffix image.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/dialogue.html
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60418&p=535396&hilit=ctc#p535396
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I'm also using some code that shows a screen and executes a function towards the end of dialogue lines, which interferes with the ctc icon. This is why I am using what_suffix in the first place. I'm trying to work this problem out right now (I'm not very expereinced with coding, so chances are I did something wrong), so that I can actually use the ctc icon, but I was wondering if there is a solution to the what suffix image problem, which would save me the trouble.

Edit: I actually figured out what was causing the issue with the ctc icon, it was a FancyText (from the cookbook) effect. I really don't want to give up on FancyText, though, which makes me even more desperate for an solution :D I also think, that the ctc Icon has the same "preloading" problem as the image text tag, if it is animated. Though I haven't tested that thouroughly.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

Okapi wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 pm ...
Well, you can make things even more complicated then...))
Check links in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57832

It's about animating character's mouth, but you could try to use it to show your suffix image. Like while character 'speaking' the function should show nothing, but when character 'done' speaking an animated image should be shown.

Okapi

#5 Post by Okapi »

Alex wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm
Okapi wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 pm ...
Well, you can make things even more complicated then...))
Check links in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57832

It's about animating character's mouth, but you could try to use it to show your suffix image. Like while character 'speaking' the function should show nothing, but when character 'done' speaking an animated image should be shown.
Sorry for the late response, but thank you, I'll have to look into that :)