Custom Save Names

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
InfamousGuy

Custom Save Names

#1 Post by InfamousGuy »

Hello!

I am relatively new to Renpy so lately I've been trying to learn as much as I can. However, one thing that has continued to bother me is the fact that I am unable to figure out how to make a text box display whenever the user clicks on a save slot, display "Enter save name: ", and then save it as the save name.

I've already figured out the basics of having a hbox display in the actual save screen and saving it that way, but I've always found the other method more appealing.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone could offer, thanks!

uncoded
Regular

Re: Custom Save Names

#2 Post by uncoded »

What steps did you already implement ?
  • do a custom action when user clicks on a save slot?
  • display an input to ask the user a save name ?
  • alter the name of the save slot whith the string the user provides?
  • do a custom save
Frankly, I dont know Ren'py well enough to answer you fully, but this is how I'd split the feature you want to implement into small doable tasks.

For second step, I'd use renpy.input ; for the third step, these functions (renpy.save, save_name) seem to be able to do the job ...
🐾