Scripted Chess Minigame

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
newmutations

Scripted Chess Minigame

#1 Post by newmutations »

I want to make a chess mechanic for my game, however I don't want to use AI and want to have specific "wrong" and "right" moves that the player can make (I'm using it as a debating/trial mechanic). I know there's a chess minigame in the renpy cookbook, but it's a lot different from what I'm looking to do here. I don't need an exact code or anything, but I was wondering what the best way to go about making something like this would be?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Scripted Chess Minigame

#2 Post by Ocelot »

If you have limited set of moves, you do not need minigame at all. You just need a series of images, which you show depending on player choice.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

uncoded
Regular

#3 Post by uncoded »

I'm not sure what you intend to achieve, but if you'd like to discuss different moves based on an initial chess situation, you could maybe use an imagemap.
Use an image of your whole chess board, and put hotspots on the squares/pieces you have something interesting to say : the player hovers/click on them, you display your text and go to your next situation if the choice is "correct" or if the player has studied every option available to him/her.
Maybe you can highlight what moves a specific piece can do when you hover over it, too ?
🐾

newmutations

#4 Post by newmutations »

uncoded wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:00 am I'm not sure what you intend to achieve, but if you'd like to discuss different moves based on an initial chess situation, you could maybe use an imagemap.
Use an image of your whole chess board, and put hotspots on the squares/pieces you have something interesting to say : the player hovers/click on them, you display your text and go to your next situation if the choice is "correct" or if the player has studied every option available to him/her.
Maybe you can highlight what moves a specific piece can do when you hover over it, too ?
I was thinking about using an imagemap!! I just wasn't sure if that was what the best option would be.

newmutations

#5 Post by newmutations »

Ocelot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 am If you have limited set of moves, you do not need minigame at all. You just need a series of images, which you show depending on player choice.
Ah, okay!! That would probably be the easiest option, I just wasn't sure if it would really work. Ty!!

uncoded
Regular

#6 Post by uncoded »

newmutations wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:13 pmI was thinking about using an imagemap!! I just wasn't sure if that was what the best option would be.
An alternative to imagemaps in your case is imagebuttons.

You can check this tutorial out (but download it from this post), compare it to imagemaps, and judge which solution is most suited to your needs.
🐾