Change color/tint of movie sprite

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
cstyle12

Change color/tint of movie sprite

#1 Post by cstyle12 »

Hi! First post here, I'm very new to Ren'py and coding in general, so please bear with me.

So I've been playing around a bit with movie sprites, just simple animations of them breathing and blinking. My VN is designed so that the characters that aren't speaking are darkened, so far I've been using one brighter sprite and one darker sprite, and just switching between them. So basically:

Code: Select all

show eileen at left
e "Eileen is talking."
show eileen dark at left
"Eileen is not talking."
This worked when using static sprites, but with movie sprites, the animation loop restarts at the first frame when switching, resulting in a very choppy experience. This not only looks bad, but it impacts the performance as well.

So my question is, is there any way to just tint/darken a sprite that doesn't involve restarting the animation?