Game crashing and .exe not booting up anymore [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Exiscoming
Regular

Game crashing and .exe not booting up anymore [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Exiscoming »

Solution edit:
The problem lies within the save files. So far this has had a 90% resolve rate for me.
1. Go into your %appdata%
2. Locate Renpy > <game name> > persistent file
3. Delete the persistent file. The game should boot up again now.

------- OLD POST -------
This is a problem that has been plaguing a small amount of my users. Their game crashes and when they try booting it up again, nothing happens.
This is what I've been able to gather:

Possible fix:
Going into your appdata > renpy > saveFolderName and then deleting the 'persistent' file seems to fix the problem.

They all seem to have a very short log file:

Code: Select all

Fri Apr 16 16:15:12 2021
Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.12s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.07s
Loading error handling took 0.19s
Loading script took 1.91s
Reinstalling
Deleting the game folder and then redownloading it doesn't fix it. This is probably because the persistent file isn't deleted from your appdata.

Anti-virus / firewall
I've had the problem before that my game would be labelled as a false positive, so originally I thought this was the problem. However users mention whitelisting the game and still not getting the .exe to boot up.

People effected
Only a small number of users seem to be effected by this. I asked via poll to see who was experiencing problems.

Any advice or a way to avoid this in the future would be appreciated.
Last edited by Exiscoming on Sat May 15, 2021 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Game crashing and .exe not booting up anymore

#2 Post by rayminator »

this is something you can't do anything for except telling them to update their drivers and their windows