Using multiple types of "Say" windows?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
BunnyInfernal
Regular

Using multiple types of "Say" windows?

#1 Post by BunnyInfernal »

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance, or if there were any tutorials out there for creating different “say” windows for different types of characters—or, at least, that’s what I think I’m looking for…

Here’s a general idea of what I’m trying to accomplish. I’ve already managed to create a game UI that looks like the image below, with a scrolling “NVL”-type window.

What I’d like to be able to do is have a few different types of text boxes depending on what’s going on:

1) A simple one just for narration

2) A text box for when a character is speaking

3) A text box for when a character is thinking

I would like #2 and #3 to have an optional portrait for the character (it might be nice if clicking on the portrait brings up a full image of the character in the panel on the right-hand side—different expressions based on the situation would be nice, too).

Samples:

I’ve been tinkering with my screens.rpy file and I’ve slowly been making progress on figuring out how to modify the existing say window (though I’m a bit confused as to how to edit the name box while still allowing different colored names). This is about as far as I’ve gotten:

What I have no clue on, however, is how to make different windows for different thinking/talking/narration.

I would be nice to be able to just do something like this, and get the desired results:

Code: Select all

"And then Eileen appeared..."

eileen "Hi, I’m Eileen!"

eileen think "Wait, why am I here? You don’t have the rights to use my likeness!"

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Using multiple types of "Say" windows?

#2 Post by papillon »

You can define characters to use custom say screens. Just for a random example grabbed from code I'm using
define vamp = Character("name",dynamic=True, window_style = "left_talker", what_style="talkbox_dialogue")
define lowvamp = Character("name",dynamic=True, window_style = "low_center_talker", what_style="talkbox_dialogue")
define arisevamp = Character("name",dynamic=True, window_style = "center_talker", what_style="talkbox_dialogue")
While my narration text shows up in a window at the bottom of the screen with the standard renpy positioning, when my characters talk I have a specially defined window that shows up nearer to their heads. All those definitions are for the same character, but with different position data for when I need that popup box to appear in a different location.

BunnyInfernal
Regular

Re: Using multiple types of "Say" windows?

#3 Post by BunnyInfernal »

Ah, okay. That gives me an idea of where to start researching. I've never been very clear on how Styles work (and I'm pretty sure I'm fighting against them with the way I've been trying to edit these windows... :oops:).