How do I change the default icon my exe file?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
bwillettcomics
Completed: Kaiju Crush
Projects: Kaiju Crush
Deviantart: nasdreks
itch: bwillettcomics

How do I change the default icon my exe file?

#1 Post by bwillettcomics »

I've read a few other help topics on this subject, but my problem seems to be a bit different than other folks. I'm trying to change the default icon on my game from the cute lil Ren'Py girl to my icon.ico

I've tried placing the file in the main folder, the game folder and the image folder, but no matter where I place it, the default icon remains. I haven't changed any of my default code stuff in my GUI or Options screens, and when I try to look up in those codes about anything to do with icons with Crtl+f, it doesn't find anything. So if there's something I'm supposed to change, write or update, I don't know what it is.

If someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful!

bwillettcomics
Completed: Kaiju Crush
Projects: Kaiju Crush
Deviantart: nasdreks
itch: bwillettcomics

Re: How do I change the default icon my exe file?

#2 Post by bwillettcomics »

Never mind! I got the answer on the Discord channel. Turns out my original file size was too small.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: How do I change the default icon my exe file?

#3 Post by Ocelot »

If you are talking about icon of your application after building it, you need to place icon.ico file in the base directory (one level higher than game) and it must be a valid ico file.
If you are talkin about window and taskbar icon, then you should replace gui/window_icon.png
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >