Are the following effects possible in renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
7th_dragon_knight

Are the following effects possible in renpy?

#1 Post by 7th_dragon_knight »

Hello,
I am a Unity Dev. I'm looking to make VN with a focus on utilizing different types of text animation(among other things) as storytelling devices. Ex:
1. Text(and even individual characters) falling from their original position and going to any position in the screen
2. Text overlapping other text.
3. Fine tuned control over text fade in speed.
4. Particle effects emitting from text.
5. Custom text appearance/fade in effects.
And plenty of other shenanigans with the textbox.

I am competent enough in Unity to implement these effects there. However, I'd like to take this chance to learn Ren'py. Are these types of effects doable in Ren'py? Or is it only designed for "normal" VN formats?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Are the following effects possible in renpy?

#2 Post by Ocelot »

1) Text block can be done trivially using Text displayable and ATL transform to reposition it. Individual characters are trickier. While it is possible to create Text for each character and apply transforms individually, it would be better to define a custom displayable which will do what you want.
2) Depending on how you want it to overlap, either another Text displayable over existing text or messing with line interwal within text style.
3) Not sure what you want there.
4-5) Depending on how you want to do this, you almost certainly want to create a custom displayable based on Text or custom Transition for effects. This will require quite a lot of coding (A custom class, containing all effects from this game: https://youtu.be/rn854c2mPpY?t=300 — an example of text jitter effect is arount timestamp — is slightly over 1000 lines long).
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

7th_dragon_knight

Re: Are the following effects possible in renpy?

#3 Post by 7th_dragon_knight »

Ocelot wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:27 pm 4-5) Depending on how you want to do this, you almost certainly want to create a custom displayable based on Text or custom Transition for effects. This will require quite a lot of coding (A custom class, containing all effects from this game: https://youtu.be/rn854c2mPpY?t=300 — an example of text jitter effect is arount timestamp — is slightly over 1000 lines long).
Yeah, I'll probably stick to Unity.