[SOLVED] How to create an "investigation scene"?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
BioMa
Completed: Occult Rewrite
Deviantart: Biomacchia
itch: Biomacchia
Discord: Biomacchia#0578

[SOLVED] How to create an "investigation scene"?

#1 Post by BioMa »

Hello! I'm developing a mistery novel with some gameplay features, and one of these features is "examining" a scene. Anyone who's familiar with Professor Layton or the Phoenix Wright series knows exactly how that looks like.
Basically, what I'm aiming to do is to have scenes where the player is free to examine the scenario by clicking on certain parts of the screen, and then receive dialogue based on what was clicked. That said, I'd like to ask two things:

How can I make the game "stop" on that scene? That is, the game is presenting the player a screen with no character dialogue to move it forward, and the only way to proceed is to examine certain things on that screen.
The way I thought about doing it was to draw a background with several interest points, and in-engine create a few invisible buttons with boxes that match the placement of those points that would trigger some dialogue once pressed (which would be the protagonist comenting on it), and then, using statements like

Code: Select all

default tableinvestigated = False
default bedinvestigated = False
default closetinvestigated = False
#more stuff, ending in
 if ((tableinvestigated == True) and (bedinvestigated == True) and (closetinvestigated == True)):
        jump nextscene
I can decide which buttons need to be pressed to move the story forward by including the command to turn each of these statements true once they're clicked (in theory).

The problem with this might be simple to solve, but somehow I haven't found a way to implement it correctly: How do I make it so the game gives the player this freedom to explore, and how do I have these buttons trigger dialogue in the dialogue box, as if the character is saying it, rather than in a window?
Last edited by BioMa on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The occult holds many mysteries. You'll find that 9 times outta 10 the answer to them can be lewd.
Check out Occult Rewrite, an Ero-Horror adventure game

errowr

Re: How to create an "investigation scene"?

#2 Post by errowr »

I think if you follow the short tutorial in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=22410

You could get something working the way you want it after adapting it to your own needs.

BioMa
Completed: Occult Rewrite
Deviantart: Biomacchia
itch: Biomacchia
Discord: Biomacchia#0578

Re: How to create an "investigation scene"?

#3 Post by BioMa »

That was actually really useful! For anyone who wants to know, basically what I had to do was to call the screen so the game would stop and let the player "investigate" it. Everything else is done with what I mentioned on the OP, and a couple of imagemaps to define the exact areas. I'd say this is solved. I'll mark it as such.
The occult holds many mysteries. You'll find that 9 times outta 10 the answer to them can be lewd.
Check out Occult Rewrite, an Ero-Horror adventure game