Game Menu returns to Main Menu rather than the game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
regigichess

Game Menu returns to Main Menu rather than the game

#1 Post by regigichess »

Hello! I'm really new to ren'py, picking it up after ages for a school project.

When I press esc to bring up the save/pause/game menu (unsure what the proper terminology is, apologies) and hit 'return', it brings me back to the main menu, yet the in-game music continues playing.

Here's an imgur post describing what I mean, since I don't want to clog the post with giant images, and it's best conveyed with screenshots. As a note, the game menu and main menu backgrounds are the same, I can easily change one if that'd help with clarification.

If a route is played to completion, it'll return to the main menu screen with no errors. This only happens if you pause it midway through. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'll happily post whatever code is needed!

Code: Select all

textbutton _("Return"):
        style "return_button"

action Return()

label title
Is what I can find in screens.rpy as pre-existing code, but as I'm pretty new, I'm not understanding why it's doing this.

Thanks much! ^_^
renpy newbie! probably here to ask questions.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Game Menu returns to Main Menu rather than the game

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Did you make any changes to the screens? Because Return button should just continue the game, not return to main menu or something.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >