Keep Textbox From Disappearing Between Dialogue

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lindsay-jb
Regular

Keep Textbox From Disappearing Between Dialogue

#1 Post by lindsay-jb »

Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to keep the textbox from disappearing completely between dialogue? For example, if the same character has a long piece of dialogue that won't fit in one textbox, I'll do half their dialogue in the first one and the player clicks to go on and see the rest of the dialogue. It's very annoying when I'm doing that and the textbox keeps disappearing completely between clicks. It would be better if the dialogue box stayed, and just the words were replaced.

How can I do that? Thanks!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Keep Textbox From Disappearing Between Dialogue

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I just tested this in a fresh project and the textbox never disappears for me. Make sure you aren't using 'scene' between the text.

You can try using the extend command, but that only adds text to what is already on screen, probably not what you're after.

Code: Select all

somebody "Some long stuff I'm saying."
    extend "The rest of the stuff I couldn't say before"
Maybe try manually setting window to 'show'

window show
    e "Some long stuff I'm saying. It should continue on to the next sentence without the say window hiding."
    e "The rest of the stuff I couldn't say before"
    window auto
    e "This should default back to whatever behaviour you were experiencing before."
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

lindsay-jb
Regular

#3 Post by lindsay-jb »

Oh lol it's fine. I was working on it late and didn't realize I was using a transition on the dialogue, which is why it was making it disappear.

However, I do have a question, is there a way to manually control what is used to hide the dialogue box? I don't want to always use a transition to hide it, just sometimes. Right now, I can show a transition coming in whenever I want by adding "with wipedown" after the dialogue. However, I want to hide the dialogue box occasionally with a "wipeup" command. I've tried using the window hide command, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm thinking it's because I'm using character-specific dialogue boxes, and so for some reason that might be making the window show and hide commands not apply to it?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm not to familiar with the say window, so I couldn't say much more than I already have.

Somebody else may have an answer for you, or you could try asking in the discord channel for a likely faster response.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

lindsay-jb
Regular

#5 Post by lindsay-jb »

Thanks anyway! It's not a huge deal, I think I'll just not worry about hiding the textbox. It looks fine as is. If I could figure it out, great, but otherwise it's fine

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#6 Post by qirien »

Hey, if you're using config.say_attribute_transition, then make sure you're also using say_attribute_transition_layer = "master", like this in your options.rpy

define config.say_attribute_transition = Dissolve(0.5, alpha=True)
define config.say_attribute_transition_layer = "master"
Finished games: