Presplash, was the code improved since 2012?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Victorius
Regular
Projects: Astral Lust
Github: Victorius-Astral

Presplash, was the code improved since 2012?

#1 Post by Victorius »

Hey!

I've seen a thread from 2012 about presplash, PyTom said it's pretty much inefficient, and makes game load longer. Is that still the case or was the code updated since then?

I just added presplash.jpg to my game, it shows my logo. I didn't see any difference in launch time, my pc is far from the high-end one. So I was wondering if that's just my imagination.

I've tried to add progress bar, but unless it's 192x108, it takes a full minute to load, as this progress bar is slowly going from left to right, it looks as if it didn't measure renpy initialization but some timer. (I talk about 1920x1080 progress "bar"). Too bad, it looked really good.

uncoded
Regular

Re: Presplash, was the code improved since 2012?

#2 Post by uncoded »

Can't answer you directly, but if your presplash only displays for a few seconds, a lack of progress bar won't matter too much : if the wait is not enough for the player to notice he's waiting, telling him just that by displaying a progress bar can be considered counter productive. I mean, the vast majority of game studios display their logos a few secs at the start of their game, so this behaviour is kind of expected by players. As a player, it kind of irritates me when I cannot switch these logos, but only if the wait is too long (ie. more than a few seconds according to research).

To help you wait (no pun intended) for someone who can answer your question, here is some reads about how to manage user expectations or various types of progress indicators.
🐾

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Presplash, was the code improved since 2012?

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

The presplash as I know it, is just a regular renpy label with some features disabled while the presplash is being shown. I don't know if anything has changed since 2012 (I didn't start using renpy until 2015), but I assume pytom is referencing the fact that a presplash must be loaded into ram while the rest of the engine loads, so will slow that down by a factor of how long it takes to do that. Usually milliseconds.

So while it is probably inefficient and slowing down load times, it's not really something you're going to notice.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter